20 moa picatinny rail

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

20 moa picatinny rail

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello. I'm wanting a picatinny rail for my sako but the only one I can find is a 20 moa. It's a 204 Ruger and I'll mostly only be shooting 100-300 yards. Is there a down side to the 20 moa at that range? With a good scope, will I still be able to get a zero at only 100 yards? Thanks for the information.
Jim D
Baytown, Tx
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: 20 moa picatinny rail

Post by acloco »

Yes, more than likely.

If anything, might keep your scope "optically" centered when zeroed.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks acloco, I don't know much about the 20 moa & can't seem to find very much personal information on one.
Jim D
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

in my opinion, with that cartridge at those ranges, you dont need the 20 moa ,,,,,,,,check the amount of adjustment in your scope,,, you should be fine with mounts with 0 angle built in them
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

savgebolt wrote:in my opinion, with that cartridge at those ranges, you dont need the 20 moa ,,,,,,,,check the amount of adjustment in your scope,,, you should be fine with mounts with 0 angle built in them
savagebolt, I totally agree but as I said, the only one I can find for a sako is 20 moa. I don't really want the 20 moa, just wanted to know if it will work ok. My scope is a Leupold VX-3 8x25 LR with VHR reticle.
Jim D
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

looking at the current leupold chart, that scope has 85 moa of elevation adjustment , you should be fine
hydehunter1
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by hydehunter1 »

I shoot mine out to 400 all the time on steel targets and have a lot of adjustment left with out a rail
bigdaddyWSM
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigdaddyWSM »

I put a 20 moa rail on mine,, needed, no, but not gonna hurt plus now i have almost all availiable elevation if needed. besides, its what i had laying around.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

It will work and would give you that extra adjustment, if you ever did go out to 500 and beyond, as a back up and needed. If you have it, use it. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

First off, realize that this original post is almost four years old. I'm pretty sure the OP has it figured out by now.

Second, to me at least, what is the purpose of a rail on a 204R? We're dealing with a caliber that has a practical range of about 600 yards on critters. I don't know of any rifle I own that would require a rail to accomplish a shot at that range, so why even use one?

Plus the use of a rail puts the scope even higher than needed over the axis of the bore; a condition that promotes canting the rifle. I much prefer my scopes to be low over the bore as possible, and a rail defeats this protocol.

In the end, it's whatever makes us warm and fuzzy, but a rail on a 204 Ruger? Just don't see the need. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Agree Rick, but my answer really was to his point, he had it, use it. Nothing lost. I am like you the 204R shoots as flat and as far as I shoot, for the most part anyway. So does my little 20 SCC and 17 Fire ball. Each has a place and get to tag along and have fun with me in those pivots and rim rocks, like you also do. Great we can enjoy this sport and hobby. Bill K :)
Hoot
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom rifles of all types

Post by Hoot »

Jacob. If those are the ranges you are shooting there is absolutely no need to have 20 minutes of elevation with your rings and bases. It will actually be a detriment to you because it will take most of your vertical and some of your horizontal travel away from your scope if you are setting your POI at 100 yrds which is where most people do. It would benefit you if your POI or "zero" was set at 250 yards or farther. This assumes you begin your sight in process with a scope that has sufficient range within the erector assembly to allow enough elevation/windage adjustments at that range. With standard mounts and bases and a GOOD quality scope there is no need to put such a crutch into your equation such as the 20MOA . If you begin shooting over 600 yards and beyond then and only then will you get to utilize it for the purpose it was intended. Remember there is tactical and there is tacticool. Dont get caught up in the later just because its the latest cool gadget.
“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.”
― Mark Twain