Leupold VX2 6-18

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
carsonsdad
.204 Ruger Guns: savage FCV, CZ Varmint, Savage lrpv

Leupold VX2 6-18

Post by carsonsdad »

HI Folks....this is my first post....looking for advice....bought a new 204 savage lrpv and I am looking for a scope. Have a leupold Vx2 6-18 that I have been looking at and I am wondering if it is enough scope for punching paper and shooting gophers. I also looked at a Zeiss 5-25 conquest but it is twice the money here.
papa1htp

Re: Leupold VX2 6-18

Post by papa1htp »

It will work real well and you already have it.
Papa1
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome. I have that scope. Can't say enough good about it and works great on my .221 Fireballs but personally, this "old" guy's eyes would prefer a bit more magnification at the ranges the .204 is capable of. Plus, my only gripe about the VX-2 is - like all Leupolds - the field of view seems "small" for the stated power, e.g.: objects viewed at 18X on the VX-2 are about the same size as they are at 16X through my Sightron. Speaking of which, in the form of a 6-24X40 SII Big Sky would be an excellent candidate with even better glass, and shouldn't be but 100 bucks more than the 6-18 VX-2 if you shop around.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

The Leupold VX-II 6-18 was my first optic purchase of decent quality. At the time I somewhat felt like my limited funds (was a college student) were being wasted on a scope "that cost darn near as much as the rifle". After using it in the field I never regretted it once.

I found it to be the perfect amount of magnification range for shooting ground squirrels out to the 300-400 yard range. Usually would be in the 12x or 14x range in actual field situations. The only time I wish I had more magnification was when doing some dedicated range work.

If you expect to spend more time punching paper than in the field then more magnification might be in order but if you already own that scope my advice would be to go ahead and mount it and see how you like it.

I suspect it will do just fine