Scpoe Mounts for Anschutz 1517 Heavy Barrel?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Scpoe Mounts for Anschutz 1517 Heavy Barrel?

Post by TEXAS222 »

I just got my first Anschutz, a 17HMR model1517 D Heavy Barrel. I know it's over kill but I already have a 30mm 6x24x50 scope I want to put on it because it has a varmint hunter type reticle in it.

For you Anschutz owners/shooters, what mount type & what height mount do you recommend? I have high cheek bones so I can't shoot a rifle with a really super low mount. I've been thinking about a Talley picatinny rail & low Warne QD rings but I'd like your opinions.

Thank you,
Jim D--- :?:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Scpoe Mounts for Anschutz 1517 Heavy Barrel?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, for my Annie 1517D HB, I chose Talley rings for my Leupold VX2 4-12X LR scope. I don't like a 1911 rail on a svelte rifle such as these, feeling it just adds too much clutter on a sleek rifle (purly subjective, I know).

For your particular needs, you may want to consider "medium" or "high" rings for your cheek weld issue. Unless you plan on removing the scope often, not sure why you'd want QD rings though. My rifle wears a Talley "low" ring set. I've got Warne rings on another rifle, and they are very well made also (in Oregon no less). Either choice would be a good one though. :D

My Annie will accompany me this weekend to a local ranch that has a ground squirrel problem. I'll take my "problem solver" and hope for a good time. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi Rick,

Kind of hard to tell from the pictures but are those Talley bases used with the drilled & tapped holes and Talley rings on top?
You think I can get by with mediums? Those aren't the Talley one piece lightweight base/rings your using are they?

Thanks bud & good shooting on your trip,
Jim--- :?:
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I put some Talley "high" rings on my 64MPR to get the clearance I needed for a Sightron 36x scope. I use this rig in ARA matches. Allows me to shoot free recoil on a rest & rear bag. Different uses, but I need the high rings for scope clearance.
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TEJAS JD wrote:are those Talley bases used with the drilled & tapped holes and Talley rings on top?
You think I can get by with mediums? Those aren't the Talley one piece lightweight base/rings your using are they?

Jim, I used Talley steel bases with their steel ring set on my Annie 1517D HB. My Leupold has a 40mm objective and clears the barrel well as you can see in the photo. Medium height rings may work for your 50mm objective, but High rings would most likely guarantee a good clearance IF you don't mind the scope being very high above the bore.

I realize you have the cheek weld issue to deal with, but I much prefer scopes to be as low to the bore as possible, if for no other reason it minimizes any canting errors at the target. The higher the scope is above the bore, any canting error is manifested exponentially for every tenth of an inch above bore height. Plus to me at least, and this is purely aesthetics, scopes mounted high enough to serve as a carry handle on a rifle just look amateurish and silly to me. But again, this is purely subjective and we all have our opinions. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Rick, JP.

Thank ya'll. I just didn't know if you used the screw down bases or bases using the dove tail grooved rail. I figured you didn't use the grooved rail.

I appreciate ya'll,
Jim D--- :hail:
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

RIO;
I tried 2 different sets of medium and one set of high rings and did not get the clearance (actually no clearance :eek: ) and read where people had success with the Talley high rings on the 64MPR, so to end my frustration, I went that route. I have more clearance than I wanted/needed but I can "re-load" single shot style in-between the scope and action port (kinda like right hand bolt/left ejection port set up but my 64 is stock) which makes for a more fluid/comfortable shooting position for me. It works for me right now. I'm still new to the ARA game, so...
Jim D:
I tried the dove tail mounts with the rings that did not give me the clearance, so went with the screw down base style for the TAlleys.
Master Piddler ;)
k9i449
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore WeatherGuard MGM barrel, Bushnell 4500 6-24x40

Post by k9i449 »

I had a 1517 HB 17hmr since they came out. Weaver, Big Leupold, Nikon Buckbuck master 4-14 SF is what on it now. It's a same I don't get it out more, since I built a 17WSM TC MGM. But it has killed LOTS of stuff. I have Millette Signature rings.