setting up a new rifle

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

setting up a new rifle

Post by hoppy »

Hi to all forum members - first post from me down in South Australia - Finally got round to buying a new SAKO varmint (stainless /laminate) .204 and having fun setting it up for primarily fox shooting (I run sheep on the farm and lambs are worth gold nowadays). Also do a fair bit of roo culling under permit and shoot any feral cats that I come across. Have so far shot a few foxes and plenty of roos and performance is great. Interesting that .204 with 40gn is now permissible under the COP for roo shooting - formerly was a minimum 55gn .224.
Anyhow, still thinking about a suitable scope for this rifle bearing in mind that I do a lot of spotlight shooting (foxes) and low light shooting ie dawn and dusk for foxes and roos. Previous and still loved rifle is an old but excellent Rem788 .223 with a replaced heavy barrel and Timney trigger which is wearing a Docter Unipoint2-5-10x50 - love this scope and want to put it on the sako but it would be a shame to break this pair up.
Currently running a leupold 12 x 40 AO on the sako (which used to be on the Rem) - great daylight scope with fine crosshairs and AO but not good for low light/night.
So need to think more and possibly spend some good coin to get another illuminated 50mm OL scope that will maximise potential for the SAKO.
Would appreciate some thoughts on this

Cheers

Hoppy
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: setting up a new rifle

Post by Bill K »

Check out a couple of Weaver's with the lit dot on the small recticle. Might fit into what you are watching for. Bill K
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Re: setting up a new rifle

Post by hoppy »

just spent some good money and put a ZEISS v6 2-12x50 on the sako in optilock mounts - great look and feel to this rig now - will sight in over the weekend and go and annoy some foxes - can't wait!