Vortex Optics Venom 6 MOA Red Dot Sight

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Vortex Optics Venom 6 MOA Red Dot Sight

Post by skipper »

I got a new Vortex Venom and mounted it on my everyday carry firearm. I bought it, along with the Viper/Venom Kimber Fixed Sight Mount, from Evolution Gun Works (EGW). I took it to the range for the first test fire and had to use all the elevation available on the Venom's adjustment knob to get the point of impact where it would group in the bulls eye at 7 yards. At first that fact had me concerned but it does, in fact, hit the bulls eye dead center. The red dot was easy to see for my old eyes and improved my ability to shoot tight groups in low light situations. When I finished shooting I noticed the mounting screws had loosened. The instructions said to tighten to 10 in. pounds and there was no need to apply Loctite. Well I applied blue Loctite and returned to the range the next day to see if that fixed the problem. I put the Kimber through 50 rounds of 45 ACP with no loosening of the mounting screws or any other issues. The sights were still hitting dead center of the bulls eye so I'm pretty satisfied.

The only cons I have about this red dot sighting system are (1) the red dot is on all the time unless you let the weapon lay dormant for 14 hours. Only then does the Venom turn itself off saving battery life. Personally, I don't ever sit dormant for 14 hours so I guess the battery will eventually run dead. The jury is still out on that because I simply turn the Venom off whenever I go to bed. My Kimber has tritium front sights that I can co-witness if necessary. They are not the suppressor height sights I would like but I can see them well enough if i'm pushed into needing to deploy my gun in a hurry. And (2) the lens is constantly getting smudge marks on it from my body. I use a Alien Gear IWB holster set up at four o'clock. When I lean back in my truck or in a chair the lens contacts my body and gets smudged. The smudge causes the red dot to appear flared with rays emanating from the 6 MOA dot. I have learned to wear a nylon undershirt that prevents the smudging but I just think the shroud could do a better job of protecting the lens.

Bottom line is that the Vortex Venom is still new to me and needs more time for me to make up my mind about whether or not I will continue to use it. But, so far I really like it. Besides, I just sprung for a Sig Sauer P229 Legion RX with Romeo 1 red dot. I'll post a review whenever I get around to it.
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg (5.02 MiB) Viewed 9011 times
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 9011 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Vortex Optics Venom 6 MOA Red Dot Sight

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper, I too fell under the spell of the MRDS (Miniature Red Dot Sight), also the Vortex Venom with 6 MOA dot.

Mine came factory equipped on my Kimber Custom Aegis Elite 9mm. I do not care to carry my EDC with one of these sights, much preferring the slimmer profile of the night sights, but I fully realize this is completely subjective. Mine is primarily a range toy, and for that purpose it's about the most accurate and fast sighting system I've ever used. Ten shots, ten hits in rapid succession on my steel targets, much faster than I can shoot any other pistol with that degree of accuracy. But I can see the problems associated with the climate where you live carrying this system as your EDC.

When I'm done shooting, I just turn the thing off and put it's little rubber hoodie thing back on. Mine is almost a year old, still on the original battery with no signs of getting weaker. I've got a spare on hand for when it does finally die though.

The POI to POA was perfect when delivered from the factory. I have not had to touch the adjustments, and at 25 yards, it cuts a single ragged hole in the target, perfectly centered. But for EDC, we all have our preferences, and mine lean towards my two Kimber CDP's in .45 and 9mm. Both guns have been 100% reliable since Day One.

Another rat shooting trip is in the works soon, and I plan on taking the Kimber with the MRDS with me. I'm wondering just how far I can smack Skippy with it. Should be interesting.

Let us know how your experiences go with the new rig; inquiring minds want to know (It sure does look good). ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails