The one shot zero

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
PaddyD
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 LRPV

The one shot zero

Post by PaddyD »

For those getting a new optic who are needlessly wasting money on bore sight tools and ammo try this. I can't count the times I have watched people waste an entire box of shells trying to get on paper and this is after using a bore sight tool.

@ 100 yds place a large 3-4" orange dot on a piece of white printer paper. ( I use the stickers you can buy at WalMart)
Place your rifle in the rest with a very stable rear bag. Remove the bolt.
Look through the bore and center the orange dot within the bore. Then without moving the rifle at all, look through the scope and place one hand on the turret continuing to hold the rifle motionless with dot centered in bore. Adjust turret to move cross hairs into the center of the dot.Load 1 round and fire at dot.
IF you didn't allow the rifle to move while adjusting the cross hair you will now have a bullet impact very close to the bulls eye, but no one ever gets it perfect so now with the rifle secured in the bags look through the scope and sight directly where you sighted when you fired the round. Hold the rifle perfectly still with cross hairs on dot and adjust turrets to move cross hairs to the center of the bullet hole you just fired.
You now are zeroed and have not used anything but your eyes, hands and 1 bullet.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: The one shot zero

Post by randyman »

I pretty much use the same procedures but still like to fire a few more rounds down range just to be sure. Besides, I'm not driving all the way out to the range just to fire one round! I'm there to convert gun powder to noise. Thanks for the tips and welcome to the forum! Randy.
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by jimreed1948 »

That may work well on a large caliber, but not a small caliber. I shoot 20 VT and it takes me 2 rounds to sight in. Shoot one and then dial the cross hairs to the bullet hole and your very close.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I basically sight in with the one shot procedure, as mentioned by the op, but then at 100 yrds I will still shoot at least one more group of five and will still, most times, have to make a slight adjustment of the cross hairs.
And like Randy, I am there to fire more than one shot and go back home. :lol: Bill K :)
PaddyD
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 LRPV

Post by PaddyD »

Actually, at a long distance like 100Meters, the smaller bore size makes it even easier for me since the dot fills the bore. I routinely swap my Vortex PST between the 308 and this 204R ( can't afford 2 scopes) and I have no problems doing it. Of course, I never assumed anyone would think You would just take it for granted that you were 100% zeroed after 1 shot and not fire a group confirming it.. I posted this only because this time of year I see person after person shooting up a box of ammo and still not zeroed trying to get ready for hunting season. Take from it what you wish. Or not.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been using this basic method for over 40 years, but with a little tweak that makes the zero even more precise.

Start your procedure at 25 yards as discussed, then confirm at 100. I guarantee you'll have to make small adjustments at that range in both elevation and windage, but they will be small tweaks.

Thinking you can do it with one shot is pretty optimistic from my experience, but the method is sound.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Exactly Rick.. This procedure makes it a simple and easy way to line up and make adjustments. Takes less ammo to get things on the money/target so to speak. :D Bill K :)