Looking for recommendations for new gun.

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
PDogRex
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS; CZ-USA 527 Varmint

Looking for recommendations for new gun.

Post by PDogRex »

Just purchased a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 cal. I am looking for recommendations for a new scope for this gun, similar to what I have on my older
Remington 700 SPS in .204. I have a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 with the Varmint Hunters Reticle. I really like this reticle so I am hoping to find something similar but not as expensive as the Leopold VX-3.

I have been looking at the Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 with the VMR-1 reticle, Any thoughts on this scope?

Trying to get all prepared for spring (warmer weather) to start "Making Skippy Fly!" As soon as we can get a little more warmer weather I am sure the squirrels, gophers and prairie dogs will be out in full force.

Hope everyone is doing well through this Coronavirus! Be Safe!
73, Rex
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Looking for recommendations for new gun.

Post by jimreed1948 »

I would stay with the same scope and reticle that you are currently using on your Remington 204 for the new CZ.

I shoot a 20 Vartarg in a Cooper and Remington with a Nightforce SHV and MOAR reticle on both rifles. I like being able to pick up either rifle and see the exact same reticle. I use 2nd FFP only and by using the same scope and reticle it makes shooting much easier for me.
PDogRex

Post by PDogRex »

Thanks for the reply. I would like to have the same scope for both guns. I agree having the same reticle would alleviate problems.
Unfortunately Leopold does not make that scope/reticle any more that I can find on their website.
I spotted one on E-Bay but it is more than what I paid 7 years ago when I outfitted my Remington 700, $1100 on E-Bay.
I’ll keep on researching.
Thanks again!
73, Rex
PDogRex

Post by PDogRex »

So I added a Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm with the “Milling Varmint” reticle. The reticle is very similar to the Leupold scope that I have on my Remington .204. This scope was made for the flat shooting, long range, smaller caliber guns. Was specifically made for the .22-250.
It has been pretty easy switching from one scope to the other and not having problems with range or wind correction.
Rex
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

[quote=P

I have been looking at the Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 with the VMR-1 reticle, Any thoughts on this scope?

I have that scope and it is a great one. I dial my yardage, then dial for the range and shoot, with a dead on hold. ( after you set/sight in at 100 yrds and work up your load/fps and all.
It is a very nice, clear scope and you will like the reticle it has. Bill K

And be sure and check out if Vortex still offers a discount if you are LE or Military, active or retired.