Vortex Crossfire Beater Bimoculars

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Vortex Crossfire Beater Bimoculars

Post by skipper »

I've been spending a lot of time scouting ducks recently. My grandchildren dropped my old Pentax beater binoculars so I decided to buy a cheap pair at Academy. These Vortex Crossfire HD 10x42 pair caught my eye. Well, the $99 price tag is what caught my eye. I think they're regularly $150-ish. I asked to see them and the salesman took me over to a row where I could see the target he had setup completely across the store. Much to my surprise, I was quite impressed with these optics. Much more than I thought I would be. For the price, I don't think I could find a better buy. These things say their waterproof and shock resistant. We'll find out soon enough. Duck blinds have a way of tearing up equipment. You ought to see my shotguns after a hunt.

I took them out on a scouting trip yesterday and put them through their paces. I came away quite impressed. I could clearly make out the ducks at about 200 yards. That will do it for me. I'm glad I grabbed these at that price. I don't normally rave about cheap binoculars, but IF you have a limited budget I would recommend these. They even came with a chest type case complete with built in straps for the binoculars. I'll try to post a followup after they have been in the duck blind a few times. That should flush out any defects.

Vortex 1.jpg
Vortex 1.jpg (124.96 KiB) Viewed 893 times

Vortex 2.jpg
Vortex 2.jpg (88.22 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Vortex Crossfire Beater Bimoculars

Post by Bill K »

Those Vortex bino's are a very good buy for the price. And as you found out, darn good quality.
I have a pair like those, but they are the Alpen brand and are also very clear and sharp in the focus and glass quality. Either one is often looked down on by many, but they work great for scouting and checking out game and views. You will be happy with your choice. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Looks like a decent deal on non-primary bino's. Might have been of interest to me if the following had not taken place: (Been gone camping in the high country for a week + and just saw this.)

A few months ago I was in my local pawn shop and spied a Leupold mini bino, 10x25 for $200. After a negotiating session, I snagged them for $150 and set off for home. Upon my arrival and wanting to test them on some distant targets, I found them to not focus properly no matter the adjustment settings....basically they were junk at that point.

So.....a call to Leupold CS and a RMA was issued, so off they went to the factory. About a week later I got a call from them saying they were non repairable, and they offered a BX4 Pro Guide 10X or 8X. For the wider FOV I chose the 8X (for bench rat shooting or rock chuck skulking). Now this replacement glass has a MSRP of $600. So in the end, I paid $150 for a quality bino worth six hundred bucks! Big KUDU's to Leupold for excellent customer service! No wonder my safe contains over 30 of their products.....rifle scopes, spotters, bino's.....

Sometimes even a blind hog finds that acorn. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Like you Rick, I have dealt with Leupold for years. I see so many poo. poo them, but I have found they have super fine products and their service, if needed, like you did, has always been above par. Thanks for adding another reason to deal with Leupold, as one of the best. :D