reticles for target shooting

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Hutch20

reticles for target shooting

Post by Hutch20 »

I'm lookin to pick up a scope just for the purpose of working up a load.
what would work better a target dot or mil-dot. That the only chioce I've been given in the scope I'm gonna get.

Thanks

Hutch
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

FCH

Post by Vartarg »

Fine Cross Hair......
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Hutch20,

When I'm doing some serious load testing I put on an 8-32 with 1/4 inch target dot. My aim points are 1/4 inch squares at 100 yards. Over many years of shooting I firmly believe this is the best way to get good groups. Everything is minimal as far as reticle and aim point which makes it easy to concentrate on the job at hand, putting your bullets in the same hole. This works for me and several of my shooting buddies who have tried this same logic. When I have satisfactory loads I remove the monster scope and put on one more usable in the field(4.5-14 or 6.5-20).
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Hutch 20
I just picked up a 35X45 Leupold Comp with target dot.I didn't think I would like it. Actually made plans to have a Fine Crosshair reticle installed this winter. After a month of use plans have changed. I kinda like that little dot :love:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I like having extra fine crosshairs for target work. There are less distractions to contend with. The extra fine crosshairs make lining up the lines on the target and the crosshairs easier. This will aid in keeping you from canting the rifle while shooting for groups. I paid an extra $150 dollars to have the CH-3 reticle installed on my NightForce. Look at the picture below. The Mil Dot reticle is way too busy for target work and the crosshairs are too thick to use for lining up with the horizontal and verticle lines on the target.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hutch20

Post by Hutch20 »

Thanks guys.

The scope I'm lookin at is the BSA platinum, either 6-24, or 8-32. The target dot reticles are fine cross hairs with 1/8 MOA dot, that should be a small enough dot for target work.

Again, thanks for the input. You guys are top shelf :wtg:

Hutch
skipper

Post by skipper »

That CH-3 reticle actually has a floating super fine dot right in the middle. The crosshairs dont actually touch in the middle. They frame the super fine dot. The picture isn't a high enough resolution to see it. A 1/8 MOA dot is going to cover up a lot of bullseye at 100 yards.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

"BSA" stands for "Buy Some Alternative" in my opinion.
Hutch20

Post by Hutch20 »

LeeC, I was asking opinion's about reticles. I don't give a darn about your opinion on what I spend MY money on thank you.

Skipper, I thought CH-3 looked like what you described, actually I couldn't see the dot :roll: . How big is the dot in the CH-2 reticle?

Hutch
skipper

Post by skipper »

Hucth20

I had to go look that up. Here's what the brochure said:
Designed for long range, high power competition, the CH-2 features a .200 M.O.A. dot on a .030 M.O.A. crosshair when measured at 22x. This .200 M.O.A. dot is calibrated for scored shooting on standard NRA high power competition targets.
tarbabi

Re: reticles for target shooting

Post by tarbabi »

I am using the Nightforce NP-1RR and absolutely love it.