I need a new scope for a new rifle.

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I need a new scope for a new rifle.

Post by Va varminter »

Pretty sure I will be getting a Remmy SPS 223 on Monday. I really want to put some Quality glass on top of it. I am thinking TASCO :lol: . But seriously, I don't want to go too big because it will be on a "walk about" rifle. The 5-15x40 B&L3200 on my 204Savage is a bit too large for what I am going to be using this rifle for. I call it a walk about rifle, but not in the sense of a pred. hunter or taking quick pop shot. Some of the land I groundhog hunt on, I will have to walk quite a ways away from my truck. So a variable with a low end really does not matter. I was looking at the B&L3200 10x with TT. Has anyone had any experience with this scope?
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Re: I need a new scope for a new rifle.

Post by YoteSmoker »

I'm not sure what your terrain is like but I would definitely go with as large a variable as possible with a 40-44mm objective to keep size and weight down, but there is no need to limit your glassing capability--especially on varmints like coyotes or groundhogs that may be on your side of the field or the far side on the edge of the woods. The 10 power would be a good range scope but a variable is always better in real world use. a 4.5-14 or 5.5-16 power would definitely be my choice and I would never wish for less scope.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I would SERIOUSLY consider the Nikon Buckmaster with the side focus.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I just put a Bushnell 3200, 3-10 scope on my Bushmaster. I think for field work (coyotes) you need a BIG field of view, especially for those moving shots. Plus, if you need to crank up the power for longer shots, 10x is plenty. Just my .02 worth!
ImageImage
the_right_reverend
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER KM77VT MKII

Post by the_right_reverend »

I second that on the Nikon Buckmaster!!!! I have one on my Ruger KM77VT MKII in 204 and just put one on my Savage presicion target 308 both were a great value for the money...... and if you happen to be left handed the side focus in outstanding

check out the reveiws at midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/br ... turned2=20
It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....Image
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I went with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 and so far it seems like a very nice scope for the price of $399.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

I did just put a nikon buckmaster (6 x 18 with the side focus) on my new ruger .204 it's great.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

What about Super Sniper scopes? Does anyone have one? I am thinking the 16x 42mm.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VA Varm: 16X is far too much power for a walkabout rifle. The best choice for a rifle that will see that type of duty is a variable for sure, no matter what the brand.

My walkabout rifles wear two flavors: 2.5-8X for coyote rifles, and 4-12X for walkabout rifles that will usually be shot at PD's, ground squirrels, or rock chucks. Over the years, this has been what my scoped rifles have been refined to, and these two combinations seem to work just fine. The only other power range I'd suggest would be 4.5-14X, good low end power for field of view, and plenty at the top end for small targets farther away. I've never needed more magnification for either flavor rifle mentioned.

As a side note, I do alot of BR varmint shooting here, and the power my 6.5-20X's usually stay on for this type of shooting is between 14 & 16X....and that's bench shooting. I have no experience with Super Sniper, but know that if SWFA sells them, they'll stand behind them....good guys there, Chris is a man of integrity.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

It's hard toimpress me with a mildot reticle because they are usually too big of dots and too thick of cross hairs for long range shooting at small targets. The Super Sniper that I recently looked through would be the exception that I could consider. Very clear, large field of view, and a fine cross hair with useable mildots. I liked it.