Anyone had experience with a Barska ???

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
bgaston

Anyone had experience with a Barska ???

Post by bgaston »

Hey guys, I currently have a Bushell Banner 4-12 40mm on my 204 but i am looking to get some more magnification. So i have been looking around and the bank (wife) will not let me go over $200. (yeah i know, just do it and deal with the wife later, or maybe just sneak it :chin: ) haha, but really, dont want to spend more than 200.

So my question is, and i have searched for this question on this forum and cant find a post, if i missed it, sorry. But, I have been looking at some Barska scopes, i have a buddy that just bought an 8-32 x 50mm w/MilDot

http://www.impactguns.com/store/790272978618.html

Just wondering how the clearity is, when it is zoomed in at 32x??? I do realize you get what you pay for, but for around 100 bucks, if the clearity is "ok," it may be worth it.

Anyone had experience with this scope??
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Anyone had experience with a Barska ???

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bgaston: My only experience with one of these was when a young friend at work bought one, showed it to me outside by our trucks. Took it out of the box, fiddled with it for a few minutes, looking up at the mountains, down the street, etc., then he promptly boxed it back up, filled out the return slip, and sent it back where it came from.

Cheap, muddy, dim, and just plain not worth what he paid for it. He expected much more, as he owns Nikon's and a Leupold, and only wanted this for his new 17HMR, but he actually wanted to be able to see his target (ground squirrels).

I'd say save up a bit more and look at the Bushnell Elite's and Nikon Buckmasters, even a Mueller....much better glass for just a bit more money. Don't blow your money on el cheapo glass now that you'll regret later, just save and wait just a bit longer.....your eyes will thank you.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Over the years I've found many "Good Deals" on used scopes like Leupold, Burris, and Elite and because of their excellent warranty I don't think twice about buying used. I always try to keep one on hand because you can't just order a used scope the way you want it. Years ago I had a Japanese Tasco target scope for my emergency scope and that glass was great(can't say the same about the new Chinese Tasco products). I only had $100 invested in that scope and it always did the job untill I could find a good deal on a Leupold.
My point is don't buy something that you won't like just to get more power. Since you have a scope on the rifle that will get you by-shop for a bargain.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

In a similar dilemma, so I have purchased a few of the budget type scopes.

If you get a GOOD BSA or Barska, I believe you will have a GOOD scope for the money. Good luck in finding a good one though.

My favorites:

Nikko Stirling 6-24x56 with mil dots $186 at cheaper than dirt

Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 with mil dots - search on the net - new for $129 ish

Bushnell Elite 3200 - find a sale on them

Super Sniper in 10x, 16x, or 20x - About $280-320 all of the adjustments are at the rear of the scope - VERY clear scope for the money...

I REALLY like the 12x40 Leupold scopes. Have purchased three over the last couple of years on the various classifieds in the $200 range. Unfortunately, one was bad when I received it - the AO had failed and I just sent another in for the same problem. BUT, Leupold replaced the first one with a brand new 12x42.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I've heard both good & bad about the Barskas. The good I've heard is when they were put on rimfires.

I have a Swift Premier 4-12 on my 221 & like it very much.

http://www.dowdlesports.com/catalog/guns/swiftsale.htm
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I held up one at a Gander Mtn. store. On max power I could not clearly see head mounts on the wall across the store with the Barska. The worst scope I have ever seen. There are much better "cheap" scopes out there. Konus makes a great scope at a great price. I had a 6-24x on a 220 swift. Very clear and a "fine" plex reticle. I paid just a tad over $110 for it. I wish I would have kept it when I sold the gun.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I bought a Barska once took it out and looked through it next to my Simmons 6x20 and a Bushnell banner 6x18 the Barska had no field of view or clarity. I sent it back. The Two scopes that I have bought three of each are Midwayusa.com White tail special 6x20x50AO for $99 dollars and the Bushnell banner 6x18x50AO for $109 dollars these scopes are clear and work well I have done the long range shooting on the bench and in the field. When you jump up in power the price goes up but these are two inexpensive scopes that put you up in the power range and don't brake the bank. To get a good quality scope that matches these you will have to start looking around $300 dollars or more. 8x32 power scope is a little much. It might make close in shots difficult.
happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

Post by happy shooter »

My $.02 look at simmons whitetail hunter($99.00) At MIDWAYUSA.COM
Only had 1 braska (spotting scope) boxed it up & sent it back same day. Was not clear & field of view was almost nonexistant.
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Post by serpent71 »

i bought one and returned it. It wouldn't hold zero
rscotth

Post by rscotth »

I used a Barska SWAT 3.5-10X40IR for years and busted up quite a few dogs with it (and one cat). I was happy with it until I broke down and bought a Millet TSR-2 and it made the Barska look dim- almost like looking through a tinted window. On the Barska's good point is that it tracks well and returns to zero every time and I like the mil dot recticle as well as the variable illumination.
+1 for what "Acloco" said- for about $299.00 you can get into the super sniper which is a really decent piece of glass for the money but my personal preference is a fixed power scope. In closing- I am not going to throw out my barska but I did just buy my second Millet TSR-2.
RSH