Center point scopes

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Center point scopes

Post by chuckhunter »

A friend of mine can get me a good deal on a center point scope 8-32x56. Has anyone used this scope and what are your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Center point scopes

Post by Wrangler John »

Intrigued by a brand I never heard of I checked their online catalog. My first impression regards the salami cut objective housing - smacks of some cheap Asian possibly Chinese optics, but they don't state where they are manufactured. The Importer is Crosman Corp. the airgun and paintball gun company.

Thoughts on the subject is that these scopes are retailed by some popular online retailers such as Wal-Mart, Amazon and Sportsman Guide. Sportsman guide offers the 8-32 x 56 for $259.99. These are 30mm illuminated scopes. The website states that the lenses are fully coated, which means a single coating is applied on each air to glass surface. The best system is fully multi-coated where each lens has several coatings applied on every surface for light transmission and color correction. The salami cut objective is touted as making the scope suited to the most extreme weather conditions, but limits the ability to screw on a sun shade, or find lens caps. That angled objective is about as useful in protecting the objective lens as using a colander for a bucket. This feature is not advantageous. Advertising also mentions the "30mm European style one piece tube" which may imply a European origin without reality. The warranty is a limited lifetime original owner warranty.

Other thoughts. Do you really want or need an 8-32 power variable? I purchased one and sent it back as maintaining a sight picture at anything above 24 power was near impossible in a field situation. As magnification increases brightness decreases, so these scopes at the low end are less than satisfactory. If you are hunting varmints a 6-24 is about max I would recommend, and even something in the 6-18x range is ideal. I find mine set at 10 -14 power most of the time as the higher magnifications are not needed, other than at the range in working up loads. 32x Scopes are best in fixed power, such as the Weaver T-32.

If you are looking for a less expensive scope, take a gander at the Clearidge Scopes at The Optic Zone. I just received one in 6-20 and I can't see much difference between it and the Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarchs. They are made in the same factory as the Elite's and share the same glass as the Elite 4200's or 6500's. They also have an unlimited lifetime warranty to any owner without a sales receipt required. Other than that, stick with known brands.
Last edited by Wrangler John on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Similar scopes are available in UK under various names. They say you get what you pay for! In this case i think you pay but don't get. jmho. Ken. :duh: PS. repeatability would be on my mind with any cheap scope.
' Pay it forward buddy '
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Post by VAshooter »

I have 4 center point scopes and I got them on my .204 up to 300 win mag and love them never had an issue with any of them.
derrick in missouri
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Post by derrick in missouri »

Have a few of the center point Walmart scopes. And the turrets work very well return to zero and adjust out of the price range. I'm sure others will say there junk cause your not cool if you don't spend your kids collage funds on a scope. I can say the ones i have dial very well and return to zero. I use shooter or bulletflight apps on I pod and a lieca rangfinder then dial center point up an bang smack no problems with mine.