Long and Hot: 100*F & 600 Yards

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Long and Hot: 100*F & 600 Yards

Post by Critter »

Guy M wrote: "Critter" and Jim joined me for a range session today, despite the 100+ degree temperatures. If you don't know Critter, he's got a real thing for The Best rifles and scopes. Jim has a real thing for hitting small targets a long way away. We had a great time!

Critter with his USMC inspired .308 Rem 700 - doing a little dry-firing prior to sending rounds downrange at 600 yards. He was using his very cool BR Pivot bench, same as he uses for varmint shooting. Note the awesome USO scope, with the Horus reticle. He can tell you more about it, but I tried it today, and it works great!

He also brought a pretty cool AR-10 with the 1.8 - 10x USO scope - which I believe may well be the perfect Law Enforcement scope. It would also be dandy for long range hunting... The rifle shot very well at 600 yards, until I managed to stick it on "safe" ending our shooting with it for the day.

Our official spotter, Jim, had to contend with some nasty mirage as the temps climbed up beyond 100 degrees.

He brought his very cool 6.5x47 Lapua, which was a delight to shoot, even left-handed. The stock didn't fit me particularly well, but the trigger is simply superb, and it's a gee-whiz shooter, no doubt:

Of course I had the good ol' Green Machine, in the Eberlestock mini-me pack. The rifle acquitted itself well on steel at nearly 600 yards.

We called it good early in the afternoon before the sun baked us crisp! Good day at the range.

Guy
Critter wrote:
Yes, while I battled ammo made erratic by the 100F heat the above named professional pulled out his "green machine" and put one cold bore round dead center in the 1/2 moa steel at 600 yards. Then with great aplomb, he announced that he was done shooting for the day with his rig. I felt a little like the golfer ready to deposit his clubs in the nearest water hazard.

Valuable lessons learned about things like keeping high performance ammo cool in high heat conditions.

Good company and conversation. Conversation ranging from load development to real world sniper experience and big game hunting.

A world class day in all respects.
abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Long and Hot: 100*F & 600 Yards

Post by abqautoxer »

Very cool. A bit off topic, how do you like the mini-me setup? I am looking for a lightweight way to carry a second rifle (primary would be carried or slinged on right shoulder). My left shoulder carries a dove stool and shooting stick bipod so this looks like a nice option. Before I saw this I was considering a drag bag backpack but its a lot bulkier.
Tom
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Long and Hot: 100*F & 600 Yards

Post by Critter »

I don't own one, but I did listen to Guy while he raved about it for an hour. He said that pack is always ready for a call out with munchies, water, ammo, light, compass and other necessities.

In short i gathered that he really likes it.

;)