Scope Power

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Scope Power

Post by Malazan »

Is a 4-16x enough magnification for prairie dogs?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Scope Power

Post by Trent »

Absolutely. More power is generally better for pDogs but not necessary. I have everywhere from a straight power 12x Leupold to a 4.5-15x Nikon and on up to a 24x Leupold. I prefer the higher powers, but if the glass is clear enough then the lower powers work just fine as well.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan: That would be okay, but more power is better. You'll find sometimes you can't even use much more than 14X after about 10:00 am anyway, because of mirage, but it's nice to have more power on tap 'just in case' it's needed for the long shots.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

It's a lot like rump-dressing;

I'd rather have it and not need it...than need it and not have it. ;)
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Jim White wrote:It's a lot like rump-dressing;

Rump dressing?? Like Prep-H??
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Trent wrote:

Nope...think Charmin, Northern or Angel Soft.

Preperation-H would be "rump-ointment", or so I've heard...;)
p5200
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 vtr .204

Post by p5200 »

Jim White wrote:
Trent wrote:

Nope...think Charmin, Northern or Angel Soft.

Preperation-H would be "rump-ointment", or so I've heard...;)
Yep, and I've heard some people who run out of their Preperation-H on a lot of forums, tend to get cranky with their replies! :lol:
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

p5200 wrote: Yep, and I've heard some people who run out of their Preperation-H on a lot of forums, tend to get cranky with their replies! :lol:
Personally, I wouldn't know, but ole' Roy D Mercer just might. As far as the OP, along with higher magnification there has to be decent resolution and clarity, otherwise the sight picture will look like someone rubbed vasoline on your scope objective.

HTH,
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I'll vote for going with a high variable power scope such as the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x 40mm long range side focus scopes. Like Jim White said,
I'd rather have it and not need it...than need it and not have it.
I shoot PDs in some fairly warm temperatures and have mostly Leupold scopes in the 6.5-20x power range and one Nikon scope that's a 6-24x variable power scope. I almost always have those scopes set at 20x unless a prairie dog is within 25 to 50 yards and then I crank it all the way down to somewhere around 12x to 14x so I can get it focused. Once in awhile I have problems with mirage, but it is usually when I forgot to put my mirage shield on my barrels. I think most of those heat waves are from the heat emitting from the barrel. With the mirage shield on the barrel, I seldom have problems with those little heat waves. Here's my New/Used Savage 12VLP with a 1 in 11 twist Pac-Nor barrel with a mirage shield in place.

The only minor problem I can see with having a 6.5-20x or 6-24x scope on your rifle would be if you are a predator caller and you have a hard charger that won't stop and gets right up in your face. It is hard to find those hard charging critters in your scope, especially if you have the power ring on 14x or 16x!!! Don't ask me how I know that :mad: Even at 6x to 6.5x, a close charging predator is almost impossible to get the crosshairs on. That's why I try my best to bark those coyotes to a stop out at the 75 to 100 yard range.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a leupold 6.5x20x 50mm vx3 on my 22-250 rem. after about 17 to 18 x to me on most days mirage is a interference. I have never hunted p poodles but would think 14to 18 x max would be sufficent??? :chin:
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Silverfox wrote: I think most of those heat waves are from the heat emitting from the barrel. With the mirage shield on the barrel, I seldom have problems with those little heat waves.
Thats a good point. I see this often, even when load testing. In my experience, the mirage will in all likelyhood increase your group before it is actually visible in the scope. I'm too sure that sun shades help and in fact I believe they amplify the problem on hot days.

On thing I would take a look at when buying a scope and that is the FOV on low & high power. You're right, trying to follow a moving target @ 20x can be a challenge. On my scopes (204's) out shooting sage rats they are usually set around 10-12x and I only crank it up when they are further out.

HTH
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Hmm food for thought jim, I havent really tried my 6.5x 20 x50 much without the sun shade. If this increses marage I am going to try without it a bit. Thanks
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

Just my 2 cents, but my general preference is to put 10 to 16 top-end magnification on my AR varmint guns, and 16 to 24 on my bolt guns.

I use the AR's when the targets are plentiful or moving (or both). When shooting is fast and furious, lower magnification gives greater field of view and less mirage, particularly with hot barrels. I tend to use the bolt guns when the targets are more distant and sedate. However, clarity and resolution are an absolute necessity regardless of the target situation or scope magnification.

My longest shot on prairie dog was with a vintage Steyr SSG69 in .308, equipped with a Kahles ZF 84 10x. That fixed power scope was obviously not designed for such use, but it let me put the post reticle, after an appropriate elevation adjustment, right on the clearly visible dog that sat on his mound a long way away. No wind, a solid rest and a set trigger helped a bunch, too.