WTB 22cal 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades

Discuss, trade, swap, sell or buy stuff!
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

WTB 22cal 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades

Post by dan97526 »

Looking for a few 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades to test in a Hornet, maybe a box or fewer. They are out of stock everywhere. I'm hoping to be able to test them out and find a good load so I'm ready when they come back in stock, assuming anything ever does.

Thanks,
Dan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: WTB 22cal 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan, I'm just about out of those 30gr VG's myself. I use them in my Low Wall K-Hornet, and it's my "go-to" load in that rifle. I'm getting right at 3,500 fps with a load of LilGun, and accuracy is a solid "minute of rat" (MOR :wink: ) They have a very pleasing terminal effect out of my KH out to 250 yards (pleasing to me, not so much for the rat).

I'm thinking of calling Barnes for a resupply, as I'm on their advisory staff, and I "need" more to finish testing in the rat patch come spring. If I'm fortunate to score some, I'll let you know. This is one excellent Hornet bullet.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dan97526

Post by dan97526 »

Much appreciated, Rick. I'd forgotten you have a Low Wall - me too! I've really become enamored of the 1885; no originals yet though.

I did find some of the 30gr Barnes on Cabela's website. Paid too much, but it's Cabela's so that's to be expected.

On another note, do you have a smith that you could recommend to do a K-Hornet ream? I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go since I love the archaic look of the original, but if I do I'd want to be sure it's done right.

Thanks,
Dan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan, yup, that Low Wall K-Hornet is a joy to pack about in the rat patch for squirrels, and has almost a 300 yard reach. Those Barnes 30grs really put the hurt on Skippy too. Accuracy is good, but still no match for the old Nosler 45gr Hornet SP's, which I still have a couple thou' laid in from long ago. I'm just glad you found some, 'cause I don't have any of those 30 grainers coming my way any time soon it appears.

My Low Wall in the field, I usually don't shoot it from the bench, as it's a great walkabout rifle:

Accuracy with the old Nosler 45gr Hornet SP's:

As for a smith for yours, I use my local guy, a father and son team that's been working here since the late '70's. Tom and Randy Wills at The Rifle Shop in Bend, OR. 541-382-8242. They did my Low Wall back when they first came out and most likely still have the K-Hornet reamer. Fair prices and decent turn-around times. Tell 'em I sent you. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dan97526

Post by dan97526 »

Much appreciated, Rick.
dnotarianni
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by dnotarianni »

35 gr V-Max 22cal any good for your use? Just listed a box I bought by mistake $20 plus shipping
Thanks
Dave