WTB 39gr Sierra Blitzkings.

Discuss, trade, swap, sell or buy stuff!
CJGillard
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BVSS

WTB 39gr Sierra Blitzkings.

Post by CJGillard »

I'm new to the 204 and have bought a Savage 12 VLP. I'm loading the 40gr V-max, but they don't seem to be cutting it. I have read that the 39grs would work much better. I have a hunt coming up and would like to see if I can get them. Anyone want to help an old retired Air Force guy out?

Thanks
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: WTB 39gr Sierra Blitzkings.

Post by Bill K »

I don't have any of the 39 gr BK left, now that I had to go lead free in this commie state of Ca. But you are on the right track trying the 39 grn over the 40 grain in your standard twist. Where the 40 grn often just don't work, the 39's shoot great.
Someone should be able to help you with a few to start checking. Welcome to the board, by the way. Bill K :)
CJGillard

Post by CJGillard »

Thanks, I see many of your posts. I'm just trying to get enough for the load testing and get through the hunt. I'm no hoarder, just looking forward to this hunt. I've never been on one like this. Going with two other guys that I have been in the military with for over 30 years. They have been before and I don't want to shoot like a rookie. lol
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Depending on what you are going to shoot, with them. Ground squirrels, PD's, etc. I do have a supply of Speer 32 grain TNT Hp's that I could send a few to you to try and get you going if you can't locate any bullets around your neck of the woods/gun shops and all, or someone does not come forth with some 39's for you.
That is if you want to try them. If so give me a address and I will send some for you to check out. Bill K :)
CJGillard

Post by CJGillard »

Bill, Thank you for the offer. I have some 32s. It has been suggested by the guys I'm going with that the wind will be a major factor where we will be hunting. I picked the wrong time to get into this. I completely understand no one wanting to part with the 39s if they are as good as I have been reading. I will do everything I can to make the 40s work. Going to do a good ladder test this weekend. If the wind dies down. lol
I really appreciate you assistance.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Don't let your friend spook you with the wind. You should be able to, after a shot or two, read and see how far the wind is actually causing you too drift and then make a adjustment on holding off a inch or two and hit those critters. The 32 grn will do better than you think, in the 204R.
Have fun and relax. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CJ, Bill is right about the 32's in the wind. Unless you're shooting past say, 300 yards on a regular basis, you really will not see any difference in regard to wind deflection shooting the 32's compared to the 39 SBK. Consider the lighter bullet is travelling faster, and that equates to less flight time, less time the wind has an effect on the bullet.

I've been shooting my 204's since 2006 when the caliber was introduced, and early on I was impressed at just how flat it shot, and the minimal effect wind had on it due to the speed of the 204R. Load up all the 32's you can find, get out there with your buddies and have at it! You won't be "under bulleted" shooting the 32's, I promise. The rodents will be equally impressed. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CJGillard

Post by CJGillard »

Thanks Rick, I will see what I can do.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

And remember CJ, we love pictures of your kills and some views of the area you are shooting in. Enjoy yourself. :)
Dogbrain
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mini

Post by Dogbrain »

CJGillard wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 pm Bill, Thank you for the offer. I have some 32s. It has been suggested by the guys I'm going with that the wind will be a major factor where we will be hunting. I picked the wrong time to get into this. I completely understand no one wanting to part with the 39s if they are as good as I have been reading. I will do everything I can to make the 40s work. Going to do a good ladder test this weekend. If the wind dies down. lol
I really appreciate you assistance.
I have a few 39s if you're interested. Like others have said though... 32s and even 34 Dogtowns (in stock at Midway), get the job done. I think the 39 is a bit too heavy for the 204R anyway. No difference in wind drift when you're pushing 4,000 FPS. If your shooting 500 yards in the wind, 204R isn't the right tool.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

CJ: I am shooting 98% lead free now in all my rifles, for game and non-game critters, since my state went lead free ( Must save the condor, you know :lol: ) so I don't need any 39 BK's.
I used to shoot thousands of those Midsouth Shooter 34 grain Varmint Nightmares, ( as the Dogtown/MidwayUSA bullets) both made by Nosler as "shots" and simple cup/core bullets, but they shot just great and did a fine job of it.
But there are always people wanting 39 Bk's, so if you have a inkling to sell them, place them in the classified and they will go fast, I bet. Bill K
CJGillard

Post by CJGillard »

Dogbrain, I'm interested if they are still available. Please PM me is you don't mind. Thanks
Xbassman
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15 in 204 Ruger

Post by Xbassman »

I have some 39's BK on my post. Xbassman. Chk it out.