Muzzle Loader season

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Muzzle Loader season

Post by Melvin Eades »

Dec. 7,8 and 9 was our muzzle loader season here in IL. and here came the fowl weather. The night before opening day, we had 3" of snow. You can see deer better with the snow on but it's a lot noisier walking. I'd rather not have snow as to crunch through the woods.

Didn't see a thing the first morning. The weatherman was predicting rain in the afternoon and then turning into freezing rain. I got out around 2:30, about the same time the rain started. About an hour before dark the rain turned to freezing rain with some sleet mixed in. Shortly before dark two doe came out into the cornfield I was watching. I lined up on the lead doe and shot her at 99 yards. I watched her run back into the woods and up the hill only she didn't make it.

I reloaded and slowly worked my way up to her to check her out. I then worked my way back down to the edge of the field in hopes there may be more deer coming out to feed. I had just gotten to the edge of the field when I saw six more deer working their way up along the other side of the field. I sat and watched hoping they would work their way closer before it got dark. Fortunately they worked their way toward me and I was able to get a shot. The lead doe was standing broad side at 100 yards when I shot. All I could see for the smoke was the other deer running but not the one I'd shot at. The one I shot at had run straight away from me toward the creek, but I couldn't see her for the smoke. She made it to the creek edge and fell down a 12' bank into the dry creek bed.

I called Lucas to have him come help me get her out since the creek bank was almost straight up and down. We ended up tying a rope on her a pulling her out with the truck. By this time the ice was accumulating on everything and dark out.

The smaller one weighed 110 lbs. field dress and the other one weighed 125 lbs. Not the best picture, but was trying to protect the camera from the rain.

The next morning I took the video camera and went with Lucas to see if he could get a deer. We didn't see anything in the morning so in the afternoon, we went back out to where I had shot my deer. We no more crossed the creek and it started pouring down rain with some sleet mixed in. After it slowed down, Lucas headed for the woods and I stayed in the truck. Shortly before dark, I heard Lucas shoot.

Here is his deer. You can see the sleet coming down in the picture and see what has already frozen on the truck. It was getting real slick out by this time.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Re: Muzzle Loader season

Post by 204Shooter »

Glad to hear of your success. I bet those corn-fed deer taste real good! Congrats!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Another great deer hunt Mel. Congrats to you and Lucas.
If you ever get a hunt captured on video, you should put it on youtube and send us the link. ;)
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

Go to the predator section and look at "Muzzle loader coyote"
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.