Question for Rick in Oregon

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Elmer Fudd

Question for Rick in Oregon

Post by Elmer Fudd »

Since we where on the topic of hunting with Barnes bullets, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I have a TC contender in .357 Herrett with 14" bbl. I'm planning on working up a load for 140gr bullets (which this cartridge was designed around) for deer hunting. While poking around, I see that Barnes makes a XPB in .357 dia.140 gr. Do you have any idea how this bullet would preform out of this gun on whitetails? I will be pushing it about 2200fps. Thanks
Well what you know bout that, no more buwetts
My name is Elmer J Fudd, Millionair. I own a Mansion and a Yachet!
Wile E Coyote Suuuper Genious
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Question for Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Mr. Fudd (I love that....) if you're pushing 2,200 fps in a .357 Herett in your 14" barrel, I would think you could feel quite confident that any whitetail within 200 yards of your Contender would be in very deep peril using that Barnes XPB. That bullet is designed to expand at velocities compatable with a .357 Magnum, so feel confident that you will experience complete penetration on about any deer you care to shoot at any reasonable handgun range.

Barnes X-Bullets intended for rifles are designed to expand at velocities as low as 1,800 fps just for the record.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Elmer Fudd

Re: Question for Rick in Oregon

Post by Elmer Fudd »

Well, the Barnes 140gr XPB worked out great in my 357 Herrett. With a velocity of just over 2200fps I shot a 100 yard 5 shot group of just under 2-3/4" center to center and 1 of the shots was a flyer and ruined a nice 1-3/4" 4 shot group. :eek: Not bad with just a 2x scope! I'm sure with some practice I can get groups down to 2" consistantly. Most groups with other bullets average 3 to 4" @ 100 yards. Cant wait to see how it preforms on a whitetail!
Well what you know bout that, no more buwetts
My name is Elmer J Fudd, Millionair. I own a Mansion and a Yachet!
Wile E Coyote Suuuper Genious