2013 father-son bear hunt

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

2013 father-son bear hunt

Post by Guy M »

My son and I headed up into the hills for a few days of spot & stalk bear hunting here in Washington. No dogs or baiting allowed. We did employ the services of a great young guide, the same fellow who helped us get a pair of good bears a few years ago in 2010. The guy knows his bears, and this particular area of Washington. I like hunting with him!

I'd loaded up some 165 gr Nosler Partitions for our 95 year old .30-06 Model of 1917 rifle. A few days before the hunt we went to the range, my son popped down into sitting position, resting the rifle on the tall bipod and using the 6x Leupold. I put up paper plates at 100, 200 and 300 yards. He shot the 100 yard target, moved to the 200 yard target and put one in it. I was watching through the spotting scope and it looked a smidge off center to me, so I fussed with the windage adjustment and he sent a second shot into that target. Turns out that little windage adjustment zeroed it very nicely at 200 yards. Cool. On to 300 yards, and he put another one through the middle of the target. Four shots, four hits, from 100 - 300 yards. He looked over at me and said "I'm done, shoot more if you want." Cheeky kid. :mrgreen:

A couple of days later we spotted a bear, far, far below us moving. Looked big and brown, so we went after it to close the distance. The bear and the three of us all pushed deeper into the canyon. Finally it held up near a long-abandoned homestead site, where a few ancient fruit trees were still bearing apples & pears. Unusual, the bear happily shared the trees with another, smaller black bear. I'm thinking that one was a female. We scurried to a rocky outcropping. I lasered the bear at 320 yards, told that to my son and glanced his way. He was sitting there with the rifle on the bipod just as he had a couple of days earlier, while practicing at the range. I knew that bear was in trouble!

Turned back to my scope. Heard the boom of the .30-06, saw the bullet strike and the bear spin, then drop! He tumbled, then bounced back up and vanished into the brush. Uh oh. We got down there and followed him into the brush, and made quick work of him at close range.

Good looking bear, well earned! The young man isn't sweating at all, but my shirt is soaked. What is up with that?

The hide is actually a deep, rich, chocolate brown. We estimated the bear at about 350 pounds, but it's hard to say. The skull should be back for measurement soon, I'm thinking it will be in the 18" range. The hide is just being tanned, not turned into a rug. We're kind of running out of wall space for bear rugs! This one seems to be a little larger than the two we shot in 2010.

I hauled the meat out in my pack. Up, up, and up some more to the truck. It was a long, tough hike getting back up to the truck, waaaay above us. Young John had the meat made into bratwurst sausages and also pepperoni snack sticks. Great flavor! I've got some brats thawing out now. They're great boiled in beer, butter & onions, then finished off for a couple of minutes over the coals. Mmmmmmm good! These bears are eating berries at this time of year, and the meat is very good, if a tad oily.

Great hunt, and I'm real glad we went. Good father-son time as he works his way through college.

Regards, Guy
Last edited by Guy M on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 2013 father-son bear hunt

Post by Glen »

Excellent story & Thank You for sharing your hunt!! Congratulations on a fine bear!!!!!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: Sincere congrats to you and your son on a great hunt and a fine bruin! Those young-uns are the future of our sport, and our country for that matter. Good job! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Sounds like it was a swell "father & son" outting; thanks for the write up and pictures.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks guys. We were only a few miles from the Canadian border on our hunt. It's not all that unusual for grizzlies to be sighted that far north in Washington.

When I was looking through the scope, just as he shot, the sun was highlighting the bear, and he had big shoulders and what appeared to be a bit of a hump to him, and he was considerably larger than the other bears we had seen to that point... I had about a half a heartbeat when I thought "Oh crud, he's killed a grizzly."

Which is of course highly illegal.

Then I relaxed and remembered how it looked before my son shot it and thought, "We're okay, it's just a good black bear, in the afternoon sun."

And so it was. Thankfully!

The young man is pretty pleased - and we just had bear brats for dinner again. Yum!

Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for posting and glade to see a great hunt. Family is what its all about. Great pics......Priceless!!
Nice shooting.....Bear Brats in beer sound good!!

Later
Ray P :lol:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Dayv
.204 Ruger Guns: howa

Post by Dayv »

congrats they are an awesome looking animal. id love the chance to even just see one in the wild doing its thing.
GunnScott
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GunnScott »

Awesome hunt and awesome story! I'm sure it was memorable for your son. :)