spotting scopes

Talk about North American big game hunting.
fattrav10

spotting scopes

Post by fattrav10 »

looking at leupold but not sure of angled or straight eyepiece.
mostly will be used as tool for judging deer from afar but also used for work at bench will the angled work in the field from prone or will it be down in the grass to much? anybody with any experiances with this please help me out as this is alot of money I dont want to buy the wrong one and the right one like my swarovski binos I bought the 8x30 and wish I would have gotten 10x42 expensive mistake would sell the 8x30 pm for more info on the binos thanks TRAV
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Straight eyepiece for me. It takes me too long to find stuff with the angled one. Angle works good from a bench when looking at the same thing, but I don't like to scan with or move it. Don
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I agree with Don. All my spotters have straight eyepieces for that exact reason. It's hard to see a potential target in the field, and align the angled eyepiece spotter to get on target quickly. It usually takes alot of dinking around, and you hope the game has not exited stage right in the time it takes you to finally get on him.

This is probably why almost all the spotters intended for packing/field use have straight eyepieces, and those intended for the target range have both as options, but not the other way around.

Unless you're set on German/Austrian optics, you may want to consider the Leupold variable spotter, also available with mil-dot reticle. Great for range estimating without using an LRF. I also use their nice little 'pack-worthy' mini spotter, armored, 10-20X. Excellent optics, and so small you don't even notice it in your pack. It's a good choice when you don't want to lug a full size unit into the field on long or high country hunts.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

faucettb

Post by faucettb »

I'll go with Rick and Huntsman on the straight eyepiece for hunting. I like the variable and if you planning a Dahl sheep hunt I'd suggest 60 power at the top end. 50 or 60 power also lets you see bullet holes in your targets much easier when sighting in.

As far as the variable goes when I was sheep hunting in AK it was much easier when you spotted a group of sheep and zoom in than trying to get a high power fixed power scope on them.
Bob from Idaho
fattrav10

thanks

Post by fattrav10 »

thanks again as always very helpful