An August afternoon harvest

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

An August afternoon harvest

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Yesterday afternoon, I was fortunate enough to have time and go hunting Fallow for a bit of venison. It was a mongrel day with the darn wind blowing a gale, however where I was hunting there were pockets of relative calm.

I came over a ridge and saw a Buck grazing at distance out in the open. Unfortunately, other than a few old fence posts there was no other ground cover which made stalking rather difficult. Fortunately, I had my small sand bag with me. I ranged the Buck at 328yds, estimated the crosswind at ~40km/h and knew the 85gr HPBT bullet drop was around 10". The crosshairs were placed on his backline, at mid length between the legs – the projectile struck the Buck in left shoulder dropping him instantly!!!!

The Buck

RX-III ranging

I was chuffed, this was the longest shot I have ever taken on any deer, and it was done with a 243!!!!! As I was taking the meat, an autopsy was carried out – the bullet made a mess of the shoulder and heart with the remnants found in the far lung. Although there wasn't much left of the projectile, which I was disappointed with, it did the intended job. The retained mass (including meaty bits) is only 26.8grs or 31.5%.

Taken with a single 85gr HPBT at 328yds

The recovered 85gr HPBT

The rack wasn't much, but that didn't matter as I was after meat.

I watched another six Fallow in an adjoining gully; three big Bucks with worn antlers and three smaller animals. I opted to leave them alone and harvested a Spiker at ~120yds.

On the way home I called into the Out-Laws, hung up half the meat, had celebratory ale with the Father-In-Law while reminiscing the shot.

BBQ Bambi next week!

Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: An August afternoon harvest

Post by Verminator2 »

Nice shot!
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
NHS

Post by NHS »

Excellent shot! I can't wait for my mule deer hunt in 6 weeks!

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

That's some pretty good shooting Drew.It looks like your going to get a few good meals out of that deer. I've been useing the 100gr. nosler partition spt bullets in my 243. For a few years now and they hold together pretty good. Any ways nice shooting.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Good work, Drew!! Many thanks for the report and especially the photos...it's good to see areas other than what we're used to here in the US of A. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Nice shooting and good photos. Thanks! The little 85 gr Sierra performed about as I'd expect: dead deer and little bullet left. Works out just fine!

Quite a few of those deer there?

Regards, Guy
Drew Jaeger

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Guy M wrote:Quite a few of those deer there?
G'day Guy, in some places the numbers are in epidemic proportions.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I noticed in your signature line it mentions a 577. Is that a .577 Tyrannosaurus? If so please post some pictures. I'm drooling already. Now if it's a double rifle you get bonus points.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Drew Jaeger

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Alas, it's only a Parker-Hale Enfield 1858 Naval pattern rifle. It doesn't shoot too bad at 100m either!!!!

Cheers

Drew

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Wow, that thing does hold 'em in the bulls, doesn't it? Nice!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

You guys have been snookered! Drew is a ringer! He makes great shots all the time, I read his posts on ausvarmints, that kind of shot is nothing for him. What's with the pope gun :huh: (for some reason, that's what they call a .243 in Aus, I haven't gotten THAT translation figured out yet :D ) BTW, good shooting!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Drew Jaeger

Post by Drew Jaeger »

glenn asher wrote:You guys have been snookered! Drew is a ringer! He makes great shots all the time, I read his posts on ausvarmints, that kind of shot is nothing for him. What's with the pope gun :huh: (for some reason, that's what they call a .243 in Aus, I haven't gotten THAT translation figured out yet :D ) BTW, good shooting!
Thanks for the accolades Glenn. Seriously, up until last Saturday I have never attempted a long shot at deer over 200yds, even with the 30-06. The terrain and lack of cover forced me to take the shot.

The 243 is Australia's No.1 selling calibre - accurate, low recoiling, multi-tasking and well suited to majority of Australian game (minus big deer and buffalo). Why is it called "the Pope"? From what I can gather,... if the Pope himself hunted, the 243 would be his calibre of choice because of its divine and blessed performance. :D
Cheers

Drew