Pretty Young Buck

Talk about North American big game hunting.
NHS

Pretty Young Buck

Post by NHS »

I went for a drive near my house this morning and saw this young buck in a field. I have not seen him before. He might grow up to be something special, if he can avoid getting run over.

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Re: Pretty Young Buck

Post by KVW »

Nice pictures. I've always wanted to try Muley hunting. How do you age one by just looking at it. I hunt whitetail with a bow and for me it would be hard to pass that one up. :)
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

NHS

Post by NHS »

This buck is probably 3.5 years old, maybe 4.5. This is more than likely his first year as a mature buck. His body is still relatively lanky and his antlers are a bit willowy. Next year he will have a bit more mass and probably a bit more width. I would have a hard time passing him up as well. But since hunting season is over, and he is on private property, he will probably make it through the winter. He will be even more tempting next year.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

NHS: He's a dandy all right....hope he has a good winter and has the opportunity to spread his genes to the herd near you. Now if he can just stay clear of the highway like a smart young buck should........
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

NHS

Post by NHS »

Rick in Oregon wrote:NHS: He's a dandy all right....hope he has a good winter and has the opportunity to spread his genes to the herd near you. Now if he can just stay clear of the highway like a smart young buck should........
Rick: I saw him again this evening. He was doing his best to spread his genes. He had 5 does he was trying to keep track of. He had his nose to the ground like a hound dog, walking stiff-legged waiting for just the right moment. :D Hopefully he gets lucky tonight. :lol:

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I'd guess he's a 3.5 year old. Like you say, the antlers are a little thin - but great, classic mulie configuration! Add some weight to the buck and some girth to his antlers and you're going to be looking at a real solid trophy class buck in a year or two. :!: