2007 deer with 204 update!

Talk about North American big game hunting.
trdtoy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

2007 deer with 204 update!

Post by trdtoy »

Killed 2 deer this year with my 204. Both were does. One was shot at 25yds in the head that weighed 110lbs and the other was shot double lung at 75yds that weighed about 80lbs. The smaller one ran about 100yds. Everything between the rib cages was soup..... The berger 40gr HPBT will do its part as long as I do mine.....
Major accomplishments with my gun so far:
450yds crow, 410yds opossum, 450yds coyote, 150yds Grey squirrel head shot!
Best 3x group-touching @ 200yds
Deer killed: 11 and counting. From 8 to 220yds!
Guy M

Re: 2007 deer with 204 update!

Post by Guy M »

Well I'll be darned. That's a mighty little bullet for killing deer. Still, I killed a buck with one shot from a .223 AR-15, with a mere 55 grain soft point. Not something I'd advocate as a general purpose deer rifle, but it certainly worked. Seems that your .204 stepped up and handled the does just fine too. I don't like deer running 100 yards, but sometimes that happens. It's amazing how far a dying deer can run.

BTW - I've been messing with Berger VLD's in my .25-06, and a .300 WSM too - very good results so far, on paper. Haven't tried the Bergers on game yet. Believe I'll hunt mule deer with them this year.

Congrats on the does - they make mighty fine eating! Guy
KrumpsBrother

Post by KrumpsBrother »

I've taken 4 does this year so far with the 204. Killed two at a time. The first two were shot in the neck at about 60 yrds and both dropped dead. The second two were headshots at the same distance.
I like that you can watch the first deer drop thru the scope and go to the next deer before they know what's up (scope zoomed all the way out).
I've got 4 more TP&W ML tags to use to get the doe population in balance, and will use the 204 for these last 4 does too.
I shoot the Federal 39 sierres, they will explode inside a deer head @ 60 yards without exiting, as a bonus they bleed out nicely.
My friend that I hunt with shot a 100 lb doe in the shoulder @ 50 yrds this weekend with his 30-06, what a mess!! I gues I'm getting use to the easy cleaning of a 204'd deer.

This is my second season with the 204, seven deer shot & dropped in two years.

Let's here some more about this, KB
trdtoy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by trdtoy »

Do not have a pic of the 110lb doe head shot. Bullet went in above the eye on one side, blew that eye totally out, other eye was hanging out, and everything that was bone above the top jaw was all mush. Litterally the top of its head felt like gak wrapped in deer hide! Here is a pic of the smaller one. Bullet went in at a sharp angle behind the right side rib cage. Everything between the rib cages was soup. Could barely make out what is what.....

Major accomplishments with my gun so far:
450yds crow, 410yds opossum, 450yds coyote, 150yds Grey squirrel head shot!
Best 3x group-touching @ 200yds
Deer killed: 11 and counting. From 8 to 220yds!