Muzzle Brake for 7mm WSM

Talk about North American big game hunting.
janneuf

Muzzle Brake for 7mm WSM

Post by janneuf »

Guys

I am putting some serious thought into putting a muzzle brake on my Model 70 7mm WSM. I have learned to tolerate the recoil but I just think it would be more fun to shoot if the recoil was a bit more tame.

Any suggestions as to the product and who should do it? I've searched online and I see prices from $120 - $300. I know they can't all be the same. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
janneuf
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Muzzle Brake for 7mm WSM

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If that is your primary hunting rifle, I'd forego the brake altogether. The blast from them is horrible....I'd rather have the recoil. If you're that uncomfortable with the recoil, maybe you should consider another caliber with less recoil.

I've hunted for over 40 years all over North America and up north, and I've never used a magnum, nor felt the need for a muzzle brake. Also, most all guides will not guide a client if he has a brake on his rifle, at least out here in the west and up north.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but if you hunt back where you live, you may want to consider a .270 Winchester, as you really don't need a magnum to kill whitetails. (My Win Mdl 70 in .270 has killed more mulies and blacktails since I got it in 1969 than I'll ever admit to.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

janneuf

Post by janneuf »

Rick

I know that's the sensible answer. I hate the thought of getting rid of it, maybe I'll take the money for the brake and apply it toward a 25-06 or something along those lines and shoot the magnum only occasionally.

I'd like to keep the rifle for the outside chance that I'll get to elk hunt with it.

BTW I'm talking to my buddy over in Cove and it's looking like a bow hunt for elk will happen next year. Know anything about Catherine Creek Unit?
janneuf
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Trade it on a good 30-06. (works great with a 150 for deer/antelope or 180 for elk/moose/bear and the deer/antelope)
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Or get a 7mm08 loaded with a 140 or 160 nosler accubond or partition. Done deal!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

janneuf: Catherine Creek eh? I know there's elk there, have not hunted that particular unit, but it's not far from the area I do elk hunt. Also some nice mulies in that area, so if you're going to be bow hunting, you'll be able to hunt both at the same time.

Yotesmoker has a point too on the 7mm-08. I'm a .270 Winchester fan, have been so since a teenager, as my dad always hunted mulies with his. About ten years ago I built a sheep/mountain rifle for use up north in 7-08 Ackley Improved, even though the actioin is titanium, a heavily fluted barrel and kevlar synthetic stock, the thing with scope weighs exactly 6.9 lbs scoped and loaded with sling (light!). The recoil is almost nil. With my handloads using Nosler 120gr BT's, the little rig is the full equal of my .270 in all regards, is lighter and easier to carry all day in steep country, and still has plenty of wallop for any deer, sheep or goat I'll ever hunt. Point is, you may want to really give that 25-06 or even a short action caliber some thought, and save that 270 WSM for elk with a 140 or 150gr Partition or Barnes TSX. With luck, you'll only fire one shot at your elk (uh-huh...... ;) )

Good luck on your hunt!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

I had a KDF brake installed (in Scottsadale, AZ) 10 years ago and became a better shot instantly :D . The labor and parts totaled $180.00. I beleive you can still get some for under $200.00. My 9 1/4 lb 30.06 has less recoil than my friends 8 1/2 lb. .243 Win. I really like that muzzle brake. :D

They are LOUD!!! :eek: Make darn sure you practice while wearing ear protection (muffs). I have read that the Vais is the most quiet but I've never heard one. For practice brakes are really sweet. You will most likely find yourself shooting more than previously because it's more tolerable. Some guys remove the brake for hunting and say the POI is the same, I don't know, I just leave mine on since I'm only shooting 1 or 2 rounds.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I would get a Caldwell lead sled for practicing at the range. They will tame the 7mm magnum down so you can shoot it all day. It tames my 375H&H magnum down nicely. When I pull the trigger hunting with the 7mm I don't feel the recoil. I guess it's the excitement of the moment or whatever but, I don't feel it. When hunting you rarely shoot more that one shot anyhow.

I have a new 375H&H magnum that has a muzzle brake and two mercury recoil reducers. The muzzle brake comes off and I have a cap that goes over the threads to protect the muzzle. That way I can use the brake when at the range and remove it for hunting.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

janneuf- I agree with Rick. For a hunting rifle forget it. Here in Michigan alot of hunting is done from elevated blinds, and believe, my 30-06 with a muzzlebrake will deafen you for the rest of the day, and most of the following day. I won't hunt with it if I'm sitting in a blind. The concussion is like an M-100 going off! Another thing to think about, out west where your laying down in dry sage, you could quite possibly start a fire. Yet another point, I've ruined a gun case, and the finish on my buddy's hood from the flame and heat that comes out. I suggest a Pachmayr, Hogue, or Limbsaver recoil pad. They really work.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

In my opinion, the Vais brakes are the best. They claim to be the quietest brake available today. They are still louder than not having one however.

I have one on my .270 WSM and it does make quite a difference. I like it but it does rattle you whenever you shoot without hearing protection (such as hunting)!

Check them out here:
http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/index.htm

You can also get them from brownells and have a gunsmith install it. Mine was purchased and installed for about $125.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Nodak7mm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT

Post by Nodak7mm »

What the heck, I 'll throw in my .02$.

1st - I love brakes, on my bench & PDoggie rifles. Primarily so I can see my own impact and spot for myself. However, I do wear both foamies & muffs when shooting

2nd - I would not put a brake on a "hunting" rifle that I may find myself in a shooting scenario where I cant/wont have time to put on ear protection or advise the person next to me to do the same. I have had two instances of being near a braked rifle going off w/out ear protection and its FLIPPIN painful and causes permanent damage..

3rd - I am recoil shy and started using a PAST recoil shield rig long time ago. Wonderful unit to use, reduces the sharp felt recoil greatly. I have routinely shot 7mm Mag, 7STW & 8mm Mag off the bench with it. Use it all the time for bench work..

I suggest you get one of those them there PAST Recoil Shield and try it out b4 you make the decision to either dump the rifle or brake it. If that dont work for ya, keep the rifle and buy another like a 7/08, cant have too many rifles anyways..

Nodak
I really love Lefse' !!!
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

I load my 7mm WSM with 180 Berger VLDs. In a light rifle recoil is similar to .30-06 with 180 grain bullet. Recoil in a heavy (Sniper weight) rifle is not an issue. Same tecnology with .260 (AKA 6.5-308) reduces felt recoil to insignificant.

I have barrel threaded for either Muzzle brake or Barrel nut. I have basically defaulted to the latter. The blast with muzzle break verges on annoying, so I have kind of gone away from it. I wish that attenuators (Cans) were legal. Silly darn law.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I have a suggestion for you with your 7mm WSM, just purchase a PAST RECOIL PAD, cost is $38 dollars for the magnum pad. Now you can wear it as it comes or have it sewn into a lightweight shooting vest etc. I use 2 pads in my vest hunting African game, one in each side as I do shoot a big bore magnum with either hand. This particular recoil pas will take away 50% of all felt recoil out of your rifle. My .416 Remington with 400 grain bullets feels like my .338 Win mag with 225 grn. bullets, when I pull the trigger on the .416.

The other thought is to have your rifle Mag-N-Ported, the company does great excellent work. I have had 4 such rifles done over the last 30 or so years and they look great in appearance. I have a 7mm Remington mag down in such a way and it takes about 12 percent of the recoil away and almost wipes out muzzle jump at the bench. Just something you could think about ok. :)
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Janneuf,

I was given a muzzle brake made in Idaho Falls Idaho by Jim Hall for Chrismas several years ago. I had mentioned that my .338 kicked pretty hard but I am really not very recoil sensitive and was not fishing for one. But since I had one why not try it. It does what it says it will do. Rick is right about the noise. It may actually cause flinching from the sound alone (just kidding) but the recoil is reduced a lot. The gun is pretty noisy without it so all in all I think it is pretty cool. I would say if you want one get one. I dont know why it works but it works. Jim Hall makes a good one. Both my sons worked as guides in Nevada and Idaho wilderness areas and I ask them and they said they saw quite a few on clients guns and no body ever sent the guy home.

Muzzle brakes are sort of annoying on the range but so is your big mag. when every body else is shooting small bore. If you want it try it. It wont devalue the gun and if you do go to a .270 it may make it easyer to sell.

good luck
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Also something that many rifles owners don't think about at the time they wish to have a Muzzle Brake installed are simply this, YOU will NOT fire this rifle from a prone position and like it, dust, rocks and other debris will come back into your face. :wink: :eek: :doh:
Thank a VET for your Freedom!