270WSM or 308?

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Elmer Fudd

270WSM or 308?

Post by Elmer Fudd »

Would a 270WSM be a better cartridge than the 308 for elk? Im compairing the 150gr TTSX in the 308 to the 140gr TTSX in the 270WSM. If not, any other options without going to the other high recoiling :eek: mags?
Thanks
Well what you know bout that, no more buwetts
My name is Elmer J Fudd, Millionair. I own a Mansion and a Yachet!
Wile E Coyote Suuuper Genious
Guy M

Re: 270WSM or 308?

Post by Guy M »

I'm not sure that there's much practical difference at reasonable ranges. Elk have been killed reliably with cartridges at roughly .30-06 power levels for a long time now.

FWIW, I used a 7mm Rem mag with a 175 gr Nosler Partition on my big bull elk. It worked great - one shot kill at about 180 yards - complete penetration. I consider the 7mm mag recoil about the same as my .30-06 generates.

Between the two cartridges you posted, .270 WSM & .308 Win... I dunno if it matters all that much - put a good bullet where it counts and you're good to go!

Regards, Guy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Elmer: What Guy said + 1.

Put the appropriate weight premium bullet in the "right" spot on Mr. Bull from any reasonable range, and you'll be eating elk steaks for a long time from either of those calibers. My personal choice is the Barnes TTSX (Tipped Triple-Shock) or Nosler Partition or Accubond, but there are others in the same catagory. (These are high BC bullets too)

If you intend to shoot the rifle alot, go with a .308...cheaper more plentiful brass available, better bullet selection, mild recoil, legendary accuracy, more rounds in the magazine, shorter barrel, easier handling in the field.

If you want more range and more power, but with more blast, recoil, more expensive hard to find brass, burn more powder, probably a longer barrel and less rounds in the magazine, well then, the choice is simple. They're both excellent calibers, just suited to different tasks (to me). The 270WSM to me would feel right at home in BC, shooting across some alpine canyon past "normal" .308 ranges (whatever that may mean to you) when a magnum rifle really comes into play. If you really don't need that kind of performance, then the 'standard' caliber should work just fine with proper bullet selection and shot placement.

Of all the elk I've killed, the longest shot was on a 5x5 bull at 278 yards. I could have made the shot with my .308's easily, but that day I had my M70 .338-06AI....another 'standard' caliber if you will. Makes me wonder how all those elk got killed for over 100 years before magnums got invented...... :chin:

Okay, off the soapbox.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

zon
.204 Ruger Guns: .22

Post by zon »

I've droped bulls with my .308 using handloaded rounds with Barnes Triple Shock 168gr BTHP bullets. One shot , one kill every time. Longest shot was 200 yrds shortest was 92yrds. IMHO the .308 is great on anything that can be hunted in the US with propper loads and placement of shot.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

308 and 30-06 both are scary effective. I have shot lots of different calibered rifles, trying out new stuff all the time but found that every other rifle I purchased was a 30-06. So now I own a douglas barreled 700 in a bell and carlson ultra light stock, this rifle has a 24 inch barrel and weights 6.5 lbs naked, a little more scoped and loaded. Get a Rem 700 action 308 or 30-06 and you will never be disapointed. I recomend the 30-06 since you can get a little better performance with 180 to 200 grain bullets. Heck you might even want to have it reamed to 30-06 Ackley improved.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I personally don't believe so, the 270 WSM is a bit faster but does not shoot the heavier bullet like is available for the .308. Brass for the .270WSM is over twice as much at the stores. In my humble opinion, I think both are a little light for a mature bull elk that will weigh in around the 800 to 900 pounds, or even more in some cases. I favor a 180 grn weight for taking of bull elk! The 30-06 would be a better choice, (has more powder in the case to shoot heavier bullets) I have used mostly the .300 Win mag and the .338 Win mag for havesting my elk over the past years. This is a real "elk" caliber bare-none gents.
Last edited by TONK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

308 with a good bullet and proper shot placement is more than adequate for elk out to 400 yards. 308 ammo and reloading components are plentiful and cheap. Get good optics, then hit the range or field and practice.....lots. I only use two calibers now 308 and 223, gives us working folks more money for upgraded optics, field gear and keeps me focused more on the hunt than the balistics of my rifle.
TONK

Post by TONK »

I personall believe that once you get to shooting large game animals such as elk or kudu, the distance of 300 yards is a far cry for many shooters and that energy factor and bullet expansion is somewhat less than needed. This is why the magnum caliber's came into play back in the 60's to begin with according to the experts.

I myself shot a .300 Win mag using a 180 grain bullet for 20 years. I have my reservations about shooting such large game as a mature bull elk with a .308 Winchester or a .270-WSM caliber, not to say it can't be done mind you but I am a hunter who likes the odds in his favor and the larger magnum calibers have worked great for me over the last 4.5 decades. The 7mm magnum is used by more professional guides than any other caliber out West.

I personally believe, unless you have been practicing the shooting of animals at 400 yards, it would be much to your advantage to limit your max distance at shooting such animals to 300 yards or less. Then your .308 Winchester or the .270-WSM using a 165 and 150 grain premium bullet respectively will get the job done in spades :D .
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Personally I go along with most, go with the 308 and reasonable ranges with a good bullet and weight. But if you plan to shoot further than say 400 (Really think you should not) then get a 300 win mag. 308 is less costly in brass, powder and recoil. If you shoot it well, place you shots where they need to go, it will drop any animal walking. Bill K :) ps. As a side note however, I would prefer the 30-06 over the 308, but you asked about the 308 vrs 270WSM.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

With the 140-class bullets, the velocity advantage the WSM has over the standard 270 is purely academic; They are less than 100 FPS different.
Everyone wants to talk about Energy #'s at whatever distance, which is fine but doesn't mean much by itself. The available energy(KE) is only useful, IF the bullet is in it's velocity operating window. If the bullet doesn't mushroom, explode, or yaw; How much energy it has, means absolutely nothing.
Barnes bullets are much harder, and have a higher velocity window than a standard SP/HP bullet. When they won't open, you better believe that they penetrate! One of the reasons that they recommend a "lighter" bullet, to keep launch velocities higher, and ensure operation at target distance.

As for Honest numbers between the two you listed, here is what Shooter shows:
Since I don't know the hunting conditions, I did a generalization.
60 degrees
40% RH
1240 ft Elevation
Zeroed @ 100, Shooting to 500 yards.

At the muzzle:
270WSM: 3100fps - 2987.3 Ft-Lbs
308: 2900fps - 2801 Ft-lbs

At 500:
270WSM: 2047.5 Fps - 1303.1 Ft-Lbs - 44.5" Drop.
308: 1926 Fps - 1236 Ft-Lbs - 51.5" Drop.

7" drop difference @ 500
121.5 fps difference @ 500
67.1 Ft-Lbs Difference @ 500

The added inconvenience and expense of the WSM, gains you... a Difference without a Distinction.
Call Barnes, and ask for the velocity window of those two bullets. Provided they are comfortably in their range, Those bullets have the same specs, on the business end.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

I would have to say of the 2 you mention there is no question that the 308 would be my choice. You can walk into any store around, even some convenience type stores, and buy ammunition for it. It is a good all-around round and it will bring down any elk given you do your part, in a reasonable distance. As for recoil, believe me it is not a factor when you are in the moment, however if you use it to punch paper, that is when recoil takes its toll. I personally like to walk softly and carry a big stick, I have taken elk with a 30-06 before but I now carry my 338 Win mag with 225gr Barnes TTSX loads. I have shot elk between 5 yards to about 90 yards but I still believe you cannot be over gunned. I personally have no physical barriers so I fly by the "Why would you want to spend the money, put out that much effort and time, to have to pass on a shot or worse yet...wound an animal" philosophy. The 308 sized round can be used on a fairly wide range of game, but hey, don't we all need a reason to buy more guns.
TONK

Post by TONK »

I must agree, that having ammo (caliber choice) that one can find in most stores, is a big plus if you ever come up short during the hunt as I once did with my .338 Win mag, when someone stole the ammo from our campsight. I spent a half a day in Jackson Hole, Wyoming looking for 225 grn Federal bullet for my model 70 Winchester .338 Win mag.