Bears Down!

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

Bears Down!

Post by Guy M »

My 19 year old son tagged this good looking chocolate bear, hunting here in Washington over the weekend. He used a 1917 .30-06 that's been passed down through the generations, and put a 165 gr Nosler through the lungs. The bear though was heading for thick stuff, so I popped it with my .375 H&H Number One and another fellow in our party hit it twice with his 7mm Rem mag. The bear was a little shot up, but will make a wonderful rug. My son has wanted a bear skin rug on his bedroom wall since he was twelve. I guess he'll get that now!

The next morning I nailed another bear at just over 300 yards, using a single 260 gr Nosler Accubond loaded to 2620 fps from the Ruger. It dropped him instantly, and I could clearly hear the "smack" of the bullet striking him.

Heck of a hunt, over way too soon. We were set to camp for five or six nights, but only stayed out two nights - then we had to get the hides to the taxidermist. Wow. Hard to believe that we've got two bears down already. That father-son hunt was really a dream hunt come true! All spot and stalk here in Washington, no bait, no scents, no hounds... Unless you can hunt one of the Indian Reservations, different rules there. We did the typical western spot & stalk hunt.

Regards, Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Bears Down!

Post by Ray P »

Con grads Guy!! Great to share a hunt with son! 2 bear in 2 days, very nice. Nice looking bears............but I got say the brown is my favoret. Nice shooting to both you and your son. I see your #1 worked well with the 260AB's..............got love those #1's
Nice pics and thanks for sharing your story of the hunt.
Later
Ray P :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG on the father son hunt. Those are some nice looking bears
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks guys! We were pretty excited. John got his bear on Friday afternoon, and I got mine on Saturday morning. It was a great father-son hunt! Got the skulls back yesterday. They look pretty good. Coupled with the photos of the hunt, they'll make pretty good mementos of the hunt. It will be about nine months before the bear hides are transformed into rugs. Young John is really pleased with the hunt, and a little amazed that he actually brought down a bear!

I thoroughly enjoyed hunting with the big ol' Ruger single shot. That's a fine rifle!

Regards, Guy
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Nice going there Guy. Looks like father & son had a good hunt and some good times to remember.

Jim
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Way to go guys! A father / son hunt will always be remembered. Nice pictures too.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Sweet bears! you make fall bear hunting look mighty easy!
I'm sure that will be something you guys reminisce about for years.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Nomosendero
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Nomosendero »

Great hunt & to experience this with your son is great.