A Boy and a Trophy Bear

Talk about North American big game hunting.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

A Boy and a Trophy Bear

Post by ACLakey »

I started out the day taking my daughter out to shoot my deer under the Oregon Mentor program. We hiked to a rocky knob over looking a drainage where deer frequently travel.

We saw a half dozen does and fawns, but nothing with horns. I received a text message from a hunting buddy stating his boy Adam just got a monster bear and they needed some help. His son and my daughter are in the same class in school so she was excited and eager to quit our hunt and help them out. The next text came through and stated, bring your quad and some help. We drove an hour into town, grabbed some gear and our other hunting partner and headed out. We found them about 1/2mi down the hill from the bear and Adam was smiling from ear to ear. We followed an old skid trail to within 100 yards of the beast and started to work. My good camera took a dump on me so all we have in the field are crappy cell phone pictures. We took some better shots once we got home.

He is a BEAST

He was so heavy I had to back down the hill because trying to drive forward would pick the rear end of the quad off the ground!

One happy hunter.

My daughter was not able to get a buck this weekend, but she was a real help and had a great time. Both of them are going to have a whopper of a story to tell today at school.

Guy M

Re: A Boy and a Trophy Bear

Post by Guy M »

That is one heck of a bear! Congratulations to the hunter, and great job getting your daughter afield. That's terrific. She learned a lot about hunters helping each other too.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

:wink: A Boy and a Trophy Bear!! Yep very nice pic!! Congrad to all parties. That is one big black bear. Any weight or head measurements yet? Thanks for sharing and congrad to dad's for getting the kids out hunting on the mentor program.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

That is outstanding! Your duaghter must have a good heart, most kids would have thought "what about me". Congrats to her also.

What round was he shooting?
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
ACLakey

Post by ACLakey »

He was shooting a 270win with 150gr round nose, either Winchester or Remington factory loads.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Sweet! :D I love to see families hunting together. That was quite a bear!!! Now you know why I carry a 10mm while tromping the back woods of Oregon! :eek: Gary
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Thats a big bear. Congrats on the hunt i am sure it will be remembered
ACLakey

Post by ACLakey »

For those that may still be interested, we did not get a weight on the bear but I am confident it was over 500lb. The skull green scored just over 21" and may be the #1 bear ever shot in Oregon by a youth.