2010 deer hunt

Talk about North American big game hunting.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

2010 deer hunt

Post by bullfrog »

Well, I've had a really busy (boy #3 came in january) and chaotic winter (wife was on bed rest with the pregnancy and I had to play mr. mom...btw, I suck at being the mom) and haven't had time to contribute to this site much. In fact, I only blasted 1 coyote all winter. Heck, I barely even recognize the site :wink:
Anyway, I've been meaning to post my deer hunt from SE montana. We had a very adventuresome trip this year.
It's hard to know exactly who to trust, but most of our local contacts told us the deer population was down from when we were last there 3 years ago and we definitely saw less game than usual.
On day 2 we were hunting a ranch that we were unfamiliar with. We found a decent 4 point buck and I was able to get in range, but he just wasn't quite big enough to shoot so early in the hunt.
As the day progressed, it became very windy. We started checking pockets for deer bedded out of the wind. Soon after employing this strategy, I spotted a large group of deer. There were a couple small bucks, a medium 3 point and my deer. He was bedded 200 yards away, but as I got ready, they all jumped up. I shot him low in the guts as he ran and the 185 grain ttsx ripped a nasty gouge out of his belly. Then at just over 400 yards, I put him down with a spine shot. He dropped, but I had to put another in his boiler room with the 338.06 ai. Not exactly the maiden voyage I had fantasized about for this new rifle, but it worked. I did have one of my cousins backing me up with his .300 mag, but he missed both of his shots. :roll:
I was laying on the top of the hill in the back ground when I shot.
His forks are pretty crappy, but he measured a touch over 26" wide and was pretty tall. Not as mature of a deer as I would have hoped, but I was very happy with this guy.
Plus, since I killed my buck early I could concentrate on other game :lol:
Here is my cousin and his 2x4 buck.
My other cousin with his odd little 3 x drop. He shot this on our last day. He usually holds out longer than any of the rest of us. :D
And finally my other goofy cousin with his tall 3 point and an elk shed we found. Not a lot of elk in this area, but the ones that are there can grow pretty big. This 3 point was really a pretty cool buck.
I also shot a white tail doe, but it was -16 that morning and my camera would cooperate.
All in all a great trip, but the 1000 mile drive home had about 950 miles worth of snow covered roads!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: 2010 deer hunt

Post by ryutzy »

Very nice! Glad to see that you all had success! Gotta love that. Yup I'll be playing Mr. Mom here soon also. We are having our first due on May 11. Excited tho, hope to have a lil hunting buddy/gal to share the great outdoors with in the near future!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Re: 2010 deer hunt

Post by bullfrog »

Congrats to you and your wife ryutzy. My oldest is only 4, but he is already good at taggin along. He even found his first deer shed last week, although I may have pointed him in the right direction. ;)
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.