Your Best/Favorite Deer Hunting Rifles?

Talk about North American big game hunting.
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Re: Your Best/Favorite Deer Hunting Rifles?

Post by KiwiMonkey »

RAMOS wrote:Well, that sucks! I can't see KiwiMonkeys' picture.
Hmm it seems to have disappeared! Try this...

Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

And there it is, nice!
K22

Post by K22 »

I've always had exceptionally good luck with the 24 calibers, mainly the 6mm, but the 243 is no slouch either. As I get older, recoil isn't as pleasant to me as it used to be, so 24's are more pleasant in that arena also.
After saying all of that, I recently purchased a used Kimber Classic in 7mm08 that I kind of grown attached to. Very accurate little rifle, pleasing to the eye, and has manageable recoil when using Barnes 120gr. bullets. So for now it's my "Best/Favorite Deer Hunting Rifle". :mrgreen:

TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Ok Ok, I now have a new deer rifle, groundhog rifle, antelope rifle and coyote taker, in a new custom I put together last year. I started with my model 70 Winchester in 25-06 caliber, then changed out the barrel to a 25 inch stainless. This rifle is control round feed, with 3 posssition safety. Then I put a nice Leupold Vari X-2 on top in the 2 X 7 power. The caliber is now a 6.5/06, I have mostly worked with the 100 grn bullets and I can only say that a coyote doesn't have a chance if hit from any angle. :wink: 8)
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

K22 wrote:I've always had exceptionally good luck with the 24 calibers, mainly the 6mm, but the 243 is no slouch either. As I get older, recoil isn't as pleasant to me as it used to be, so 24's are more pleasant in that arena also.
After saying all of that, I recently purchased a used Kimber Classic in 7mm08 that I kind of grown attached to. Very accurate little rifle, pleasing to the eye, and has manageable recoil when using Barnes 120gr. bullets. So for now it's my "Best/Favorite Deer Hunting Rifle". :mrgreen:

Whoa.....now that is a "sharp-looking" rig.
K22

Post by K22 »

Thanks Jim.

I don't know how Kimber does it, but this rifle only weighs 7lbs. 2oz. in this setup. :chin: It totes around quite easy.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Those Kimber's and Coopers are sharp lookin'. The only rifle I have that looks that good is my SECNAV Remington 720. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
K22

Post by K22 »

Jim White wrote:Those Kimber's and Coopers are sharp lookin'. The only rifle I have that looks that good is my SECNAV Remington 720. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Love those early Remingtons. You should post a picture of it.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

K22 wrote:
Jim White wrote:Those Kimber's and Coopers are sharp lookin'. The only rifle I have that looks that good is my SECNAV Remington 720. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Love those early Remingtons. You should post a picture of it.
I'll try and do that. Currently Photoshop is a PITA trying to login, dunno' why. And to boot, my laptop finally died but I'll get around to it.

Jim
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Well here in the anti gun state of illinois we do not have a rifle season. So I opt for my 50 cal muzzeloader. I do have a very nice heavy barrel rem 700 in 308, wife bought me a 30-06 for christmas and Im building a 243 at present. Over all in whith tail country I would use a 243 or a 308. Plenty of gun for white tails in my book?
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Valar....the .243 would be a good choice for Deer since it would have less recoil,just think the .308 would be better for those Big 200lb + Illinois Deer! :D ;)

Since You have to use Shotguns or Muzzle Loaders are You allowed to use the Center Fire Rifles for Predators/Coyotes then?
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

I believe they can use center fire Rifles in Illinios to Predator Hunt.....makes a lot of sense to not be able to use a center fire during Deer Season using only shotgun/muzzle loader because of too long a range if they use a center fire Rifle yet some of the new muzzle loaders can reach out several hundred yards plus now? LOL :chin: :duh:
Grendel
.204 Ruger Guns: AR with Shilen 24" barrel

Post by Grendel »

TC Icon in 7MM Mag topped off with a Burris Black Diamond. I use a hand load 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip.
204 AR W/24" Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, Todd Jerrett extended handguard, Leupold VX-2 6X18X40 Adj. Obj. Target Knobs
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

TC Venture 280 rem topped with Nikon. Both Rem brass Winchester primers RL19 powder. One shooting a 139gr SST. Other Berger 140 gr VLD. And both have muzzle 2 on them. I am looking to builded a 280AI.
7mm mag 700 26 inch barrel Rem brass fed primer RL19 powder 139 gr SST and 168 gr Berger VLD.
TC Venture 25 06 Rem brass RL19 117 gr SST.
300 wby Rem brass IMR 4350 Fed primer nosler 125 gr BT just pick up some 125 gr SST. Heavy duty muzzle brake.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

OK. I'm going to let everyone make & have fun of me. I'm used to be called a dumb ba******. I'm not saying this is for everyone or anybody but it is my gun choice for me. In '92 I bought a Remington Classic 220 Swift. I bedded it in a B&C camo stock, lapped the lugs, and later put in a Jewell trigger. That's it except load & shoot a lot. Here in Texas all my shooting is done from a truck or mostly a box blind with sand bags & I take pride in my shot placement. Shortly after setting it up, I took it turkey hunting one day. Low & behold, out walks a tremendous whitetail at 260 yards. Well I took the behind the shoulder shot while he was sideways and that 163 b&c is still on my wall and it didn't take even 2 steps. That's all it took. Today that gun looks like it was in the 'nam jungle but it has accounted for over 300 animals up to 400 pounds with good bullets & good shot placement. I've been fortunate to have been invited on several ranches for exotic animal hunts & for a bunch of whitetail cull hunts. You can call me a liar or whatever you want but 99% of my animals with the Swift went down within 10 yards of where they were shot, most crumple in their tracks. One 300# Axis did manage to go 70 yards. Most all my shots are 300 yards in, most being 100-200. Well there's my story of a love for a gun & my big game choice.
Jim D :hail: