11/4/11 Deer (Mount pictures added 12/18/11)

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

11/4/11 Deer (Mount pictures added 12/18/11)

Post by Melvin Eades »

Back on Nov. 4th, I took the afternoon off from work to go bow hunting for the first time this season. We’ve had a lot of warm weather up till now and it just didn’t seem like deer season to me yet. The bucks were now in rut and Lucas was on vacation so I decided it was time to get serious about hunting.
I decided to go to the back stand on a property that only Lucas and I are supposed to be hunting on and see what it looked like. The ladder stand is at the edge of the woods and what use to be a tilled field. The owner put the field in the CRP program and planted trees in it two years ago. The field is now grown up with weeds and volunteer cottonwood trees that are so thick it’s hard to get through them, some as high as 7’. I didn’t see many deer out of this stand last year so I planned on moving it back across the creek and putting it up on a ridge where we’ve seen several deer.

The stand is behind the leafed hedge tree.

I tried to get across the field as quietly as I could and when I was about half way across, I caught a glimpse of a decent sized buck running along the top of the hill with its head down like it was trailing a doe. I slowed down even more and eased into the edge of the woods in case it was still around.
I got to the stand and looked up to see one of the hooks on the ratchet strap hanging down. Someone has been in the stand and the strap had broken and they used what was left of it and tied the stand to the tree. I eased up on the first rung and shook the stand, it seemed solid so I went ahead and climbed to the top. A shot out in the field behind me was going to be a challenge with all of the weeds and in front of me was the hillside and about 20 yards to the top of it.
I had been there about 20-25 minutes when I heard a noise to the left. A little four point buck was coming into the woods and was smelling the air checking for doe. I watched him as he made his way up a little draw and disappeared. I sat for another 35-40 minutes when I heard something again to my left. When I turned my head, all I saw through the brush was a lot of white tines coming into the brush on the same path the four point had come in on. After the four point had disappeared earlier, I ranged the path it had been on and got 26 yards. I drew my bow as the buck stopped broadside to look around and released my arrow to see it hit a small limb and go ricocheting through the brush. I’ve been back two times since and still haven’t found my arrow.

The buck jumped and ran up the hill a few yards and stopped with its head behind the biggest tree on the hill. I grabbed another arrow and knocked it and drew again just in time for the buck to walk out from behind the tree and stop. Now here’s the part where I’m supposed to say I made a perfect 27 yard broadside, double lung shot, but I didn’t. I had to shoot through the tops of some small trees in front of me and either I hit a limb or just flat out pulled the shot, but I hit the buck in the hip.

The buck almost went down at the impact of the arrow but caught itself and made a few jumps up the hill and stopped. I could see a lot of blood running down its leg and was hoping the arrow hit the femoral artery in its leg. There was no way to get another shot so I sat motionless hoping the buck wouldn’t get alarmed and start running, making for a long tracking or maybe not getting the buck at all. After a few seconds, the buck limped, staggered up the hill a few more yards and just over the crown and stood behind two oak trees. I could just see its head and part of its shoulder and saw its head swaying side to side and then it fell over.
I stood up and could barely see one of its antlers thrashing back and forth at 37 yards for a few seconds and then go still, a good sign that maybe the buck was going to die right there. I called Lucas on the radio and told him what had just happened and that I was going to sit until dark before getting out of the stand. Just as I finished talking to him, I saw the buck’s head raise and then disappear. I couldn’t see the antler anymore so I didn’t know if the buck had gotten up and went down the other side of the hill or if it was still there.
It was a long 30 or so minutes till it was getting to last light so I got down and tried sneaking up the hill to see if the buck was there or gone. I would take one step at a time and look and listen and then I saw part of an antler less the 12 yards over the crown of the hill. I knocked another arrow just in case and took one more step up to see a horizontal white strip on the ground in the fading light, the deer’s belly. I stood for about 20 seconds and took one more step and could see the bucks head and an open eye. I stood for about 30 seconds and didn’t see a blink so I took one more step and could see the buck was dead.

I called Lucas on the radio and told him the buck was dead and asked him if he would go home and get the 4-wheeler to drag the buck out, otherwise we would have to drag it about half a mile to the truck. The problem was going to be if I couldn’t get the 4-wheeler up the far side of the creek bank, we would have to drag the deer about 250 yards through the CRP ground. While Lucas was heading home for the 4-wheeler, I gave Clint a call to see if he could help us in case we had to drag out the buck and he graciously said sure thing, I’ll be right there. It took about 4 attempts before I got the 4-wheeler up the creek bank, but at least we wouldn’t have to drag the buck by hand through all of those cottonwoods.

When my youngest son, Ethan, skinned and cut up the buck, he found where the arrow had hit the femoral artery on the entrance leg and penetrated deep enough to break and shatter about four inches of the far leg bone.
Not sure if the one tine will measure an inch or not, if it does, it would be a twelve point. The buck only weighed 168 lbs. field dressed, but it looked run down from rutting. There was a lot of luck getting this buck. It’s my biggest buck so far with bow and I am having a European mount done on the head. I think I'm going to leave the stand right where it is for a now!

Here are a few pictures of the deer.

12/18/11
I took the head to the taxidermist http://fleshandbonestaxidermy.com/index.php on 11/6 and they called me on 12/8 and said it was ready. They did a nice job on it and quick turn around. Here are a few pictures of it.

Last edited by Melvin Eades on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 11/4/11 Deer

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wow Melvin, that's a Whitetail anyone would be proud of. Way to go! Thanks for sharing. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Melvin

Heck of a nice buck.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Congratulations!!!! Thats a dandy buck!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Wow - that's a serious buck!

Congratulations. :yeah:
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Thats just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Yep it is a good one. Thank goodness 4wheelers can go about any where.
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

That is just an awesome buck. You tell a great story. Now tell the truth, did you hit it with the pickup or the car?????????? Just kidding. Great Job. I'd call it a 12 pointer.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: 11/4/11 Deer (Mount pictures added 12/18/11)

Post by Song Dog »

I love the mount! It is awesome!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Looks good, I love the euro mounts.
predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by predhunter »

very nice
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

WOW! Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Well Melvin, are you going to shoot another one like that this year? I'd love to have one like that to put on my wall!!! Someday, someday.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Very nice buck Melvin, and great story.

I have to ask, the Plaque is a pretty ODD shaped chunk of wood, was it a discard from some other woodworking project, or is it modern Art?

Lol

Surprised I guessed Il correct, but had to scroll up to verify your profile location

Dad was born in Peoria, I have been to Chicago via the airport AND a trip to Argonne Nat Lab 2 summers ago.

Thanks for the picts and story. Do you have more tags to fill?

Allen