Off Season

Talk about North American big game hunting.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Off Season

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Just looking at some pictures and seen this forum hadn't been posted on much since it is the off season for big game. That’s the great thing about pictures, one look and there’s a bunch of memories brought back, just like that! I only got out once this year for elk, it was to a new area so no meat in the freezer but I had a great year in Colorado the year before.

Opening morning my dad and I dropped off from camp and each followed our favorite ridge fingers down hill like we do every year. I was nearing the bottom when I stopped under pine tree. I stood there for a few minutes listening and catching my breath. As I readied to continue on I looked down at the deadfall I had to cross and I see an antler sticking up and over it. I pulled it up and attached was the skull and the other antler. It was from a very respectable 6x6 bull elk. I thought, man I really don't want to pack this thing around all day but the longer I looked at it the more I thought of what a waste that would be to just leave there. So I figured what the heck, I'll carry it until it becomes too much of a nuisance. Dad and I reached the bottom and decided to go opposite directions. I followed the bottom for a bit then started angling up and over several fingers. As I stopped to catch my breath there was a stand of pines in front of me so I thought I'll just go stand on the ridge at the bottom and to the side. As I topped it a fair sized rag horn bull busted out and across the oak brush. As he got out of sight I heard more rustling and took a few steps ahead and had to drop the 6x6 I was carrying as a cow ran out and stopped broadside about 40 yards from me but there was a rise between us. I threw up and found my mark and down she went. Four more cows and 3 calves busted out and ran off.

Here is a picture of the cow with my trusty elk whacker. 338 Win Mag that I built in school.

I took my rack and went down and started cutting. I decided to go ahead and pack the rack back to camp where the horse was. Dad and I met up and we all took in the beauty of the rack before heading back. Dad leading the horse, I led the way down to the meat. Just above where the cow lay there was a really steep spot so dad opted to work around it with the horse. I cut straight down and hit the flat below and happened to look in the direction dad and horse had went and low and behold I could swear there was another antler sticking out of the swaying grass. Sure enough the bino's proved it so I headed over there and started pulling it up. As with the first one this one also had a skull and the other side both sporting 5 points.

I went on down to the cow and when dad showed up I said guess what I found on the way as I pointed to the 5x5. darn kid, he said, we need to run to town and buy a lottery ticket, we should only need one.

We packed up the cow and I toted out the rack. Back at camp we had some friends gathered around giving me a bad time about my luck. Little did they know I had even more so I let them all carry on before saying yeah, then it started going backwards on me, they are getting smaller by the hour as I come around the tree with the second set. Their mouths hit the dirt and their eyes told their every thought. It truly was a great day; I have never even one full antler before. Several that the mice or porcupines have chewed on here and there were all.

Here's a picture of the beautiful country the magic happens in.

Ahh, the memories!
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Off Season

Post by Clint E »

WY-NE it cant get any better than a hunt like that with the family the 2 lucky racks .
Nice rifle a hunt cant get any greater than using a rifle you built yourself.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Great story!

Congrats on your cow elk, and on finding those two racks. BTW - that rifle you built looks terrific. :yeah:
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

You are correct Clint, hard to beat a hunt with family. That was the last year my two great uncle's elk hunted. Oldest one was 81 and the other was 78 at the time. They loved oogeling over the racks and talking to the other hunters that wondered through that asked about them. Elk hunting still gets my blood pumping but there's a hole there without those 2 in camp.

Thanks Guy, I built that thing in '96 and it has taken quite a bit of game since. From prairie dogs to a few bull elk. It fits me perfectly but is a little heavy for most people to pack around the mountain for a week. I even took a little forked horn muley with it up there on that same mountain before it was completed. I had it roughed out and season rolled around, I figured it might as well start earning its keep. It has!
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Good work mate.
I'm still on my first rifle, and I already want to build one. Must have been a great feeling taking the first meal with it.
As for the racks - that's just cheating :D but it doesn't matter how easy they come - a pair like that still look impressive.

And getting your family involved just makes it that much more enjoyable.
My brother and I did a bit of observing when dad was a pro roo shooter and we were kids. Dad gave it away years ago now, but my brother and I have now taken up the sport and are enjoying a few hunts together, and a bit of messing around at my range - Good times, and many more to come