Paying to shoot prairie dogs

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
varmitslayer
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Paying to shoot prairie dogs

Post by varmitslayer »

Does anyone here pay to hunt pdogs and if so how much
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Paying to shoot prairie dogs

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've never paid to shoot anything, but hear that fully guided hunts w/accomodations run about $150/day. There are many ranchers who just want them gone, and will gladly let you shoot their PD's instead of having to poison them. You just have to ask around, but if you're in the east or a long drive away, a guide will save you alot of money in the end, at least on the first trip out until you get the hang of the game.

If you're looking for a guide, check the classified section of Varmint Hunter Magazine, as there's usually about a dozen or so places listed every issue that advertise there.

We're blessed here to have literally millions of ground squirrels to shoot; smaller, harder to hit and a shorter season, but hey, the price is right. After the first time I shot PD's, it was like shooting critters the size of a house cat, and hitting our smaller rats for all those years really paid off in the PD patch. It was like I couldn't miss. (But I did anyway :lol: )

This was my second trip to Montana shooting my M700 .243 Ackley at just over 800 yards....one unlucky dog to be sure.

The best states are MT, SD, WY, but the little critters can be found in other states too, those listed just seem to always have the best population. Always call ahead to check on populations, plague, draught, etc.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

I'm not looking for somewhere to hunt I was just wondering if perhaps there might be a sideline there to pickup some extra cash. I can look out my front door and pop a dog. Just thinking it might be worth it to lease some ground for hunting.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, now that you've made yourself clear, you may be in the right spot. Make a post to that effect, and I'm sure you'll get some action.

I'd do the same over at GGVG, as there's always guys looking for places to shoot the critters.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Were are you located. I have gone to Kansas, you have to have a permit, Colorado, Private property only no license required. I am going to SD next June for a week to shoot at the little fellers....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

I'm in eastern wyo. and you have to have landowner permission to hunt anything. I'm not sure about public or gov. land but I would imagine it's open season. We shoot mostly from the pickup window(do not try this at home) :lol: not off public roads of course. I'm hoping to find somewhere I can sit down and spend an afternoon plinking away. can't wait till the pups come out.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

In Kansas you can shoot out of a PU........
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

varmitslayer wrote:I'm hoping to find somewhere I can sit down and spend an afternoon plinking away.
Ok, you've got me completely confused. Are you looking for a place to hunt or selling your services? Each post seems to indicate something different than the last.
varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

Mike wrote: Ok, you've got me completely confused. Are you looking for a place to hunt or selling your services? Each post seems to indicate something different than the last.

I guess I'm not looking for a place to hunt I was just wondering how much interest and if it would be feasible to lease some ground in order to guide pd shooting fests. If I could show a profit and had the clientele I would be all over it. If it won't pay the bills then I guess I'll just have to learn to reload and shoot all the little B******s myself. They destroy so much grassland around here I can't believe anyone would considered them endangered. However now that I have a 204 they are indanger. Yesterday we shot about six within a mile of my friends house out of the pickup window. and seen about a thousand. 20 degrees out but the sun was shining.
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

varmitslayer,

Another option you may look at is posting on this forum or another forum to see if someone wants to come out and shoot them with you. I have a place I've been shooting for a few years. Well about 6-7yrs ago there were some people looking for a place to shoot p-dogs. I offered them to come out and shoot with me. They have been comming out every year since and we have a blast. We even started hunting Turkeys together when they come out. I have been out to their place in Illinois the last two years to go calling coyotes. Know I have friends that I feel like I've known forever. They are more like family. If you've been around this site for long then you may have seen some of the post from Melvin Eades.

This is just a thought, unless you are looking to make some dough. I'll tell you this, its a lot more fun shooting them doggies with someone than by yourself.

Dave Z
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

varmitslayer,

Dave Z. makes a great point. In addition to that, I think that you'll have a very hard time turning a profit if you have to lease the shooting ground. I don't know where in Wyoming you are located, but when I went out there I never had a problem finding places to shoot. Perhaps other people can see merit in your proposal, but I thought that I'd offer my perspective. Best of luck to you.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I'll try to give you a little insight based on experience....as I love to shoot PDs...

There is a 75,000 acre ranch in SE Colorado with two other adjoining ranches we have access to shoot and the rancher has a bunk/guest house that is fully equipped, including a TV and recorder that sleeps seven people and very well equipped kitchen that he rents to us for $25 per person, per night, just to get rid of the PDs....and we have full run of the ranch...all we have to do is bring our groceries, etc...

Another place in Montana charges $150 per night, per person, but they supply all the food, beer (after hours), excellent sleeping accommodations, and the rancher takes the crew and gear out during the day with a flat bed truck and stays with us for the day... in the event we exhaust one town, he willingly takes us to another.

I have no problem paying a reasonable amount for 1) a guaranteed dog population, 2) access to a fairly restricted shooting environment, and comfortable sleeping accommodations....

If I have to go 'blind' into an area and look for permissions, motels, food, etc... then it's not worth a whole lot to me...especially if I have to spend my limited time driving around to get what I want...
AR
Factory/Factory