The Other Morning

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

The Other Morning

Post by Song Dog »

Well I took off to a farmers place that asked me to come out last year, did with success and asked if I would come back. This was my 1st trip this year. I sat looking down in a little field next to a creek. I was calling for about 20 minutes and I thought my fingers were going to fall off, they got cold. I usually last a stand out for 30 minutes. 30 minutes came and I thought about getting up but decided to sit for a bit, while I was not calling. Right off the bend of the creek I spotted something but I couldn't see for sure what it was due to the dead grass. I looked through my scope and thought that I might have called and seen my 1st Illinois bobcat, since it looked fairly small. I started the call back up real low and around the corner next to the tree he stood with a buddy. It was a pair of coyotes. I thought if one of them stop I will let it fly. One did and bang flop dead, hit the ground like a rag. The other flew down into the creek and up out came another about 75 yards from me coming right at me. At this point I am on my feet hoping I can get a eyeball on the one who went down in the creek but got surprised by the 3rd one popping out. He would not stop at all with all the barks I threw at him. I wing it and missed that one. So all in all, one is better than none. With all my shots at coyotes, the one at close range running full bore at me was hardest to get on and stay steady.
This is my view point. The far tree just right of the fence is where the coyote folded.
This is from the tree looking back. I was just up from the bottom next to the fence, you might see my seat and sticks.
This is the coyote. Hit by a 39BK with only an enterance. It was a frontal shot in the chest. This is my 3rd case of mange since November.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: The Other Morning

Post by Melvin Eades »

You're liking that 204 aren't you? Good job!

I haven't been seeing any while hunting lately but have while on my way to work and back.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Tell how much I am liking the 204, next rifle will be another :D

Yesterday a guy told me he went from Carlinville to Shipman and seen 5 on his way home. I asked him if he had a rifle with him. He said no and thats why he saw so many :D

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Racr350 »

What's up with all the mange everyones been seeing lately? Seems like we're helping the dogs out in a way...
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Nice work Song Dog. Never have seen mange in Oregon...and I hope it stays that way. Ugly. Any idea if either of the other two were mangy?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

We haven't seen mange over here either, but have heard some reports of it. Heard a few cases of parvo around here too. Anyway, good job getting one down.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
varmitslayer
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by varmitslayer »

I come from NE nebraska and haven't seen a coyote w/o mange for about 7-8 yrs. This year haven't seen a coyote back there period. Hunted for about 5 days over xmas (calling and driving) and barely seen a track. I'm afraid eradication may be the only cure. Fortunately coyotes will adapt and once it goes thru they will be plentiful again just going to take several yrs. My dads hunted coyotes w/greyhounds all his life and he probably hasn't caught 15 coyotes the last 2 yrs combined. More pressure and fewer yotes makes it almost impossible to get one w/dogs anymore. :wall:
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Looks like you found yourself some great hunting spots keep it up.