A good morning

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

A good morning

Post by Melvin Eades »

This morning I went out for the soul purpose of watching and listening for turkeys before our first season starts on the 13th. I made up my mind I wasn't going to do any calling for coyotes but if one gave me a decent shot I was going to take it.

I wanted to get out before first light but spent too much time on the computer looking at this web site. I still got out early enough that I could see about 300 yards across the corn field I had to cross before I dropped into the creek bottom. Just as I was walking down the grass roadway between the fields, a coyote came out of the woods and crossed in front of me about 200 yards. I didn't have a shot so I watched it go on up the bottom.

I made it to the little corn field where I was going to sit, watch and listen. I heard turkeys way north of me and way to the west, but nothing in the bottom I was in.
I had been sitting awhile and the little song birds started landing in the field and feeding. I noticed some movement to my left and turned my head to see a coyote looking at me at about 12 yards. It turned and started running hard so I took a shot as it was quartering away and hit it in the hip. It went down and sprang back up running so I shot it again behind the shoulder. It made it another 30 yards before it went down for keeps.

I looked at the tree limbs I was shooting through and discovered my first shot hit a 1/4 inch limb about 4' from the end of my barrel.

I sat for another 15-20 minutes and decided I would take a picture from where I was sitting. When I pulled the camera down from taking the picture I saw a doe looking at me in the woods at the end on the field. I kept the camera at the ready as the deer started into the field. Three more came out behind the first one. They were looking at me but weren't sure what they were seeing. They worked their way out into the field trying to figure out what I was so I just kept clicking pictures.

Had to stop and scratch.

Just after I snapped this picture she winded me. She was at 23 yards.

They all took off and ran right into the dead coyote. They all made a qiuck stop and the white flags came up.

I made my way over to check out the coyote and and saw it was a young female. She fell 84 yards from where I was sitting. I was shooting my 527 American with 39 S.B.K.'s

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: A good morning

Post by acloco »

Awesome pictorial!
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Don't get any better than that!
Nice pics of the does.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

You are the Mack Daddy. Good job, and great story as always. Thanks for sharing.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Cool account Melvin. :wink: I just laugh at those silly deer when they do their little foot stomp. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Great story and nice pics! Sounds like ya had a heck of a day! :wtg:
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Great story and picture illustration. Made me feel I was right there.
Savage Vaporizer