odd colored coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

odd colored coyote

Post by broper »

Has anyone ever seen a blonde colored coyote? I saw one yesterday. It was about 50 yrds. off the road. When I stopped it immediately started running but, only ran another 50 yrs. or so then turned broadside and watched me a few minutes before running into the brush. It looked to be blonde all over. It was in a posted field and I didn't have a gun with me anyway, or a camera. First time I've ever seen anything but a normal colored coyote. Also, it was 2:30 in the afternoon, thought that was kinda odd too.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: odd colored coyote

Post by surfclod »

I seen a pair that were exactly as you described, kind of blonde colored, much lighter than anything I have seen before. I had a good look at them from my scope as I was shooting gophers at the time and I seen them in the trees past where I was looking for targets. They were about 500-600 yards away but in line with my bench so I watched them for a while.

This was in southern Alberta near the Crowsnest Pass/Old Man River area.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Yup, one time out deer hunting I jumped up a coyote that was about the color of a golden retriever. Didn't shoot it because I didn't want to scare the deer out of the drainage.

Some we have around here are more brown, but most are a nice silvery color with some darker & lighter fur too. This one is typical here in central Washington:
JD

Post by JD »

Have one around my house that is a beautiful dark brown like the color of your wood stock Guy M, never seen that color before, but most of them are colored like the one in your pic.
Marlin 1895 .45-70
Ruger All-Weather Ultra Light .338 Win. Mag
Savage 112 Tac./Tar. .300 win mag.
Steyr Pro Hunter .280 Rem.
TC Encore 50 cal. ML and 25-06
Remington XR-100 .204 Ruger
BRNO 22E .22LR
Marlin 39A Takedown .22LR
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I'll be darned. Have never seen a dark brown coyote. Interesting.

As I recall, most that I saw in Southern California were scruffy little gray things, not much color to them. Was surprised by the size and color of the bigger coyotes I found here in Washington.

Here's the biggest one I ever shot, a full 60" from nose to tail. Turned him into a rug:
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Here are a few I've taken.

Here's one I shot out my back door that's the darkest one I've ever taken around here.

Here's a typical colored coyote around here.

Sometimes they look like this when you hit them right between the eyes with a 39 S.B.K.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

The one I saw was solid yellow, kinda the color of a yellow lab. No other color on him that I coud see from 50 yds. I'd sure like to make a rug outta him.