12-26-09 Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

12-26-09 Coyote

Post by Song Dog »

I get a late start and decided to go to a place that I have seen a few coyotes. I take about a 600 yard hike to be where I need to be, through somewhat crunchy snow. It took me about 30 minutes to get there, trying to get in as quiet as I can
I set the Foxpro along this drainage ditch and got back about 40 yards. Having this out there would make them come in straight to me, due to the wind and the field. I kick on my light and WAY off around 400+ yards spot a pair of eyes, or I thought I did. I kept the light in that direction and seen them again. I easily call with my Tweaked Squirrel hoping to grab his attention. I try it again and then the eyes were looking right at me. He slowly made his way and when he got about 200 yards, I just started lip squeaking. I was doing short squeaks and when he somewhat veared off abit, I made the squeaks long and drawn out. That got him focused. I just kept him on a string and let him come in as close as he wanted. But I didn't give him time to think something was not right. At 50-60 yards I dropped the hammer, he spun once and fell. Didn't even use the Foxpro which seldom happens. I usually end up using my hand calls and Foxpro at each stand.

Can't let Gube get all the coyotes :D

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: 12-26-09 Coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Good goin'.

I'm going to try and get out in the morning with this snow on and see if I can get something to come in.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice dog. Our snow is all gone from the rains we had & it's warmed up a little again.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Way to go. Keep on pounding them. I wish we were allowed to use lights and shoot at night.
Savage Vaporizer
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Its always a good thing to see them lying there so peacfuly . Wtg
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

That is the one thing I don't have yet for night hunting, as we are allowed to use lights here.

WTG!
JB
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

JBinMontana wrote:That is the one thing I don't have yet for night hunting, as we are allowed to use lights here.

WTG!
As for the light, it is a Lightforce 170 Hunter Pack. I have had alot of issues with it...wires, switch, and solder connections. But other than that it is perfect. I can positive ID a coyote at 300 yards through the scope with it on full power. I have not shot a coyote at 300 yards at night but that give you a idea how bright it is. I love the reostat. I can scan for eyes on low (saves battery) and when coyote comes in with in killing range, I turn it up and shot.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"