What was your most memorable day?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

What was your most memorable day?

Post by Lenard »

Having shot for over 50 years, there is always one particular shoot I remember well. It still give me great joy to think about that hunt. I will comment on this later, but would certainly like to hear your most memorable moments. Just remember, it is not bragging if you can do what you say you did.

Lenard
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: What was your most memorable day?

Post by Song Dog »

It was the day when Rhett who will be 10, was 7 and shot his 1st coyote. I could have cried :D It will be a hunt I will never forget.
Grace was just as excited
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

I had been hunting a ranch is S. Oregon since 1990 for sage rats. By accident and boredom in the middle of one hot day, we discovered the number of chucks that inhabited this ranch. While glassing, we saw a dozen or so chucks that would not have been seen without the spotting scope. Thus started a new quest, to shoot chucks.

I found they can be the sneakiest. Anyway, after shooting them for years, we had a day where they were extremely wary. All we saw that day, was their heads sticking out of the dens. I was shooting a very accurate 223 Sako with target knobs.

As luck would have it, I shot 12 chucks that day between 200-300 yards, all in the head. Never missed a shot. If I lived to be 90, a repeat of that day would never occurr again. So when I think of chuck shooting, that is the day that comes to mind.

By the way, the biggest chuck that day was a female that was 28" from the nose to the base of the tail. Absolutely huge.

Song Dog, I also remember the first deer my oldest son shot at about 14. Your son won't realize the depth of his shooting the coyote until he becomes a father, when his son does the same. I know your joy.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Excellent topic Lenard!! This one should get some purdy darn good mileage!!

We have a 15 Dove limit here in Ohio. I was done in 45 minutes one day. I only shot 18rds with the 870 20ga. So I cleaned mine & got them put on the ice pack in my bucket. :mrgreen: Then I went across the field to where Dad was. He was standing there eating a darn cookie when 3 dove flew by. 1 was in range of his single shot 28ga. Without hesitation he cocked the shotgun & brought it up to his shoulder & shot that bird one handed. I had heard different Friends talk about "That darn Bob just whipped that shotgun up with one hand & I don't think he even looked & shot that Dove!!" But I never got to see it happen til that day. I played bird dog that day for the next hour. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

About 20yrs ago, I went dove hunting with a couple buddies on opening morning. The limit was 10 birds a day at that time. I was shooting really good that morning and killed two limits. I had a secret hiding place in my truck to stash some extra birds in.
I went out again in the early afternoon, to a different spot that I knew of. The birds were really thick there and I was still in the groove with my shooting ability. I ended up with another limit of 10 birds and it was still early afternoon. A fella from here in town helped me find 1 of my birds to fill my limit. He says to me, you must be close to your limit by now. I been watching you and you haven't missed a bird in a while. He said he couldn't hit his butt with both hands. I asked him if he wanted some bird so I could keep hunting, so I gave him 6 birds to fill his limit and he headed back to town. I ended up with 16 more after he left so I decided to head for home myself.

For the day, I ended up killing 46 dove, and when I added up how many rounds I shot for the day the count was 84 rounds. I knew I was having a really, really good day for my shooting average, but I was shocked myself with better than 50% average ON DOVE for the day. :eek:

Also, let me mention all the birds I shot that day were on the fly. No ground sluicing! Also, I was only shooting 1 round at a time from my 1100 Rem. Shoot 1 bird, mark and retreive. Never lost a bird that day either! :mrgreen:

:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Man, I'm hunting Illinois next year. Every coyote I ever see you with looks like somebody's been feeding it to keep it healthy, and grooming it. They're always beautiful. Awesome stories guys. I have nothing close to those.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I'll say that is one good looking coyote. Looks like it just came back from the dog show. Nice one.
KSV
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by KSV »

Hi all,

My most memorable hunt was when I hunted Barbery sheep in the Northern Cape near Canarvon in South Africa.

Stil got the battle scars from carrying the sheep to the nearest road.

And the trophy.

Song Dog I realy see forward to when my son now 5 and I are going for his first hunt. I already took him along on a few jackal and pig hunts.

Best wishes to all.

Hein
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Watching my shooting partner harvest a long range doe in the late season hunt. 338 RUM, 300 gr SMK at 3100 fps, Savage Target action, Rock stainless barrel, and Nightforce optics....all chambered, threaded, braked, and assembled by me.

This was the second shot in the field with this rifle. 938 yards....one shot...done deal.

This was the first shot on game with this rifle. He demanded I make the first kill with the rifle. 755 yards, did not even know what hit her.