They're Back

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
csand
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Firearms

They're Back

Post by csand »

The good news is, skippy's out in limited numbers here in SW Idaho. Certainly enough to make it worth sloggin' around in the mud.
The better news is, while the class of 2013 may be freeze proof, I can verify they are definitely not bullet proof :D .

I'll remember my camera next time. Cal
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: They're Back

Post by Joe O »

Please do.we need a late winter fix.Although it's 67* here right now,in upstate SC.Wish I could get PETA to release about two dozen breeding pairs of Sage rats,or Pds on every golf course east of the mississippi.WOW!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Must be that "summer" 50 degree weather? We have some snow coming in today and tomorrow so I think our guys are gonna be laying low for a bit longer. I have my "network" keeping an eye on NE California's rats.
K = ½mv2
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Bodei wrote:Must be that "summer" 50 degree weather? We have some snow coming in today and tomorrow so I think our guys are gonna be laying low for a bit longer. I have my "network" keeping an eye on NE California's rats.
Same here where I am. Supposed to clear up first of next week though. My trigger finger is getting itchy, so I think I need to take a pistol or 2 out and kill some targets that don't bleed. :lol:
I just heard that the ranch where I shoot skippy, has sold. Don't know if new owner will still let us go after skippy. Will be doing some leg work to find some other spots.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
csand

Post by csand »

My 44 degree "Summer" weather turned into wind blown snow this morning but I did get 3 very enjoyable afternoons. To say I'm a little rusty is an understatement. I bloodied a lot but mostly I just kicked sand in their eyes. I did get to try out my brand new shiny BR Pivot bench. What a nice setup. Thanks, Rick for coming up with this design!

Looking forward to sunny days, Cal
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Bodei wrote:Must be that "summer" 50 degree weather? We have some snow coming in today and tomorrow so I think our guys are gonna be laying low for a bit longer. I have my "network" keeping an eye on NE California's rats.
Bodei.. I have seen a few chucks showing out and about some of the rock piles, north of me. Bill K
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

:) I guess I should consider myself lucky as I have been shooting squeaks for 11 days now.First day only 16 rounds , 2nd day 62 rounds and getting better.
Today was red hot.Shot 156 204 rounds and 150 17 hmr.all in 3 1/2 hrs.Gotta love that 204.I only shoot it at 200 yrds and up.Still grinning from ear to ear.
;)
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

TrapperDan wrote::) I guess I should consider myself lucky as I have been shooting squeaks for 11 days now.First day only 16 rounds , 2nd day 62 rounds and getting better.
Today was red hot.Shot 156 204 rounds and 150 17 hmr.all in 3 1/2 hrs.Gotta love that 204.I only shoot it at 200 yrds and up.Still grinning from ear to ear.
;)
Making me very envious.. But it will warm here and they will be coming up. :) Bill K
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I've been shoting ground squirrels here for a couple weeks now. The 'chucks are coming out too, saw one yesteday, made me want to get out after 'em.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don't forget that if you shoot chucks this early in the season, the females are all pregnant and you're just denying yourself targets in the future.

I've seen three places here shot out compltely because of guys going out too early and killing the females. I absolutely love chuck shootin', but I'm just sayin'......... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

We all get in a hurry, every spring. But your point is well taken and we should all remember that, Rick. Future is more important than a early shot.. :eek: Bill K
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I let myself shoot the first rock chuck and the first ground squirrel I see each Spring. Sort of a "whoopee, Winter is leaving" thing. Then, I hold off until I see the new crop of rodents out and about.
csand

Post by csand »

My first rock chuck of the season was aimlessly wandering around my driveway a few days ago. The wife and I managed to coax it into a dog kennel and I released it into the rock pile at the back of the property. It seemed happier there and I'm hoping it rewards me with lots of new targets :twisted:
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

csand wrote:My first rock chuck of the season was aimlessly wandering around my driveway a few days ago. The wife and I managed to coax it into a dog kennel and I released it into the rock pile at the back of the property. It seemed happier there and I'm hoping it rewards me with lots of new targets :twisted:
Now that's what I call dedication!!! WTG Sir!!! :D :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

They're back...and so am I...
K = ½mv2