Morning Rockchuck Walkabout

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Morning Rockchuck Walkabout

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Woke up to a nice warm and sunny day yesterday, so figured it was a good opportunity to take my Cooper 221 'Furball' for a walk in the sage and junipers. A small ranch near home has a number of 100 year old rock piles that have become chuck condo's, so I set up about 150 yards away with my Furball and started glassing.

The rock pile is on the far side of the fence, the chuck was sitting next to a rock in the split between the junipers:

I saw the chuck flip and fly off the rock, but when I walked over to retrieve him, I saw he had slipped down a deep rock cravaas, and my arm wasn't long enough to reach him, but blood and brain matter on the rock confirmed he was DRT.

A second chuck was spotted just under 200 yards on a large rock pile, but an old withered grey tree was in the line of fire at about 160 yards away, so I had to slither about on the ground in full field camo (if they see you, they bail!) to sneak a shot through the old tree, wire fence, and a juniper tree between the chuck and me. If you zoom on the pic, you'll see the grey tree and the rock pile barely visible beyond.

How the rocks looked walking up to the chuck hide. Only by being right up on it can it really be seen through the trees and brush:

The rock pile up close. The chuck was sitting about in the middle of the pile, just below the top:

He was shot right under the chin looking directly at me. A small bullet frag exited on his bottom side, right next to his poop-chute, the body was just jelly inside:

My Cooper M38 Phoenix 221 'Furball' for work in the nasty lava rock where you do not want a nice wood stocked rifle anywhere near the stuff.

The load used was the 40gr Nosler Varmageddon over a mid-range load of A2200, 7-1/2 in Lapua cases for 3,150 fps (1/4" load). I'm finding that I'm using my 20VT and 221FB more these days with the price of powder approaching the price of gold dust! Getting almost 400 rounds from a pound of powder is looking like a good idea right now.

Just wanted to share a nice morning in the sunshine among the sage, junipers, rocks with another pet rat rifle. :)

Late Edit: These small local ranches are not tolerant of loud rifle fire. Hence the use of my 20VT and 221FB rifles instead of any of my 204's, which are saved for work over 300 yards in the rat patch. The 204 has it's place, just not on these small local ranches.

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Morning Rockchuck Walkabout

Post by Bill K »

Thank you again Rick. Very nice and it sure would have been a nice outing in that habitat. :D
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

Thanks for the walkabout summary, Rick. What you describe is one of my favorite ways to "thin the herd" whether they number but a few to a target rich environment. The challenge of a spot and stalk and taking one's time has a certain appeal to me. Not that I will pass up a target rich environment mind you, but the satisfaction of taking my time to identify a target and maneuver into position without being detected brings with it a certain level of satisfaction, particularly when the effort is rewarded with a THUMP! :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for that, Paul, and glad you enjoyed the story outing.

Your description is exactly the reason I do it that way. The sneak factor is part of the overall equation with a critter that's entirely dependent on his wits for survival on his turf. But the light side of all this, is we're trying to avoid detection from a large rodent! :lol:

There's the joy of an alfalfa field full of squirrels with an accurate rifle on the bench with plenty of your handloads. It's been termed "the most fun you can have with a rifle", and for good reason. But as you described, the satisfaction of stalking a wily chuck has it's own personal rewards.

Rockchucks and ground squirrels....! I love this time of year! :D

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick...can't think of a better way to start the day ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:41 pmRick...can't think of a better way to start the day ;)
You bet it is, Jim. Even better than a cup of high-test coffee to get the juices flowing. :wink:

After I packed up my gear into my truck and headed home, not 400 yards from my house I spot this guy checking me out from his den:

I sat in my truck with my Nikon DSLR with a 300mm tele lens over my window bag and waited a couple of minutes. The chuck seemed tired, then laid his or her head on a convenient piece of lava rock at the den entrance.....like a puppy would. If I had been hunting them with a rifle at that moment instead of my camera, being so dang cute, I doubt I could have pulled the trigger on her.

These guys near the house give me some great pics, and add to my "chuck knowledge" too. ;)

Here's hoping your brutal work schedule will allow you some time in the field in the near future, rifle in hand. :wtg:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

How would a guy be able to shoot that one ? That is a sweet photo. They are a kick in the pants. :)
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

That's a better shot than any rifle shot. Live critters are for more beautiful than any dead one.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

More often than not, anymore, I will just watch them with bino/scope and enjoy it, rather than shoot. Plus you have to leave more for seed, than you shoot anyway, so you have more years to hunt some areas. :)
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:05 am
Jim White wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:41 pmRick...can't think of a better way to start the day ;)
You bet it is, Jim. Even better than a cup of high-test coffee to get the juices flowing. :wink:

After I packed up my gear into my truck and headed home, not 400 yards from my house I spot this guy checking me out from his den:

I sat in my truck with my Nikon DSLR with a 300mm tele lens over my window bag and waited a couple of minutes. The chuck seemed tired, then laid his or her head on a convenient piece of lava rock at the den entrance.....like a puppy would. If I had been hunting them with a rifle at that moment instead of my camera, being so dang cute, I doubt I could have pulled the trigger on her.

These guys near the house give me some great pics, and add to my "chuck knowledge" too. ;)

Here's hoping your brutal work schedule will allow you some time in the field in the near future, rifle in hand. :wtg:
Whoa...he looks like a pretty good size fella! Ya' know, I agree with the camera and bino's, just observing them.

I remember being with you in Alturas out in a pivot when in the distance I could see the cows herding up together. I was curious to why when out from behind the knoll I could see a coyote emerge heading toward the herd. It would have been an easy shot with my 204 from the pivot but I didn't know if that was legit for me or not, being from out of state. As I watched the herd kept the lone coyote at bay and he went on his way.

As far as getting out in the fields...I long for it. Between work and funerals back east its been a real downer in that regard. I can't say one way or the other regarding funerals but the work will be coming to an end this year. So, the Lord willing and the creek not rising, I hope to make it out in the rat patch once again next year...somewhere.

Thanks for the pictures and the write up!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well there Jim, let's hope that brutal work schedule works out for you in order to spend more time in the field soon. I came across these pics from April 2013 when you joined us in the outback for some fun with Skippy and his pals.

The EORFS crew taking a mid-day break from the action discussing strategy. My 2nd son Dave in his ghillie prepping for some coyote action a bit later, and an old Navy Team shooter looking on:

You might recognize this guy on his RASS bench......don't see too many of these in the field any more:

This thread got a bit off-topic, now it's squirrels vs chucks, but have no fear, the flags were flying that day, and every day we're in the field. Not so much when stalking a wily rockchuck though in the sage, rocks and juniper. As Flag Day was this week, I thought this was appropriate.

That day was the first time my Cooper M21 MTV 204R connected on a squirrel at over 500 yards (512 yards), sending him aloft in proper style with my load of RL-10X over a 39gr SBK. As I remember, it was a very good day during a very good rat shooting trip. That day increased my love affair with the 204 Ruger. I've got other rat rifles in 204R, and that day was when my rifle "Wicked Wanda" joined the 500 yard fraternity. ;)

Another rat season has come and about gone now that it's mid-June. So now rockchucks are on the 'menu' until next spring when Skippy and his pals decide to emerge once again from their winter burrows. When they do, we'll be there too (maybe even YOU!). :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Well now Rick, talk about a trip down memory lane. That was the best multi-day trip I ever went on where all days were productive for our entertainment but not so much for ole' skippy. I went looking back through my pictures and I came up with a few myself:

Crossing the pass eastbound:
IMG_5045.JPG
IMG_5045.JPG (4.05 MiB) Viewed 158 times

Here is one of the EORFS out in their element:
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG (4.21 MiB) Viewed 158 times

Rick taking on some unfortunate skippy pal:
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG (5.04 MiB) Viewed 158 times

Rick's son all suited up to provide us some cordite entertainment:
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG (5.02 MiB) Viewed 158 times

Garth drawing a bead on some poor unfortunate skippy:
IMG_5053.JPG
IMG_5053.JPG (4.35 MiB) Viewed 158 times

And Old Glory flying high & proud in the eastern Oregon sun:
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 158 times
Yessir' I do look forward to it once again and besides, I have a couple of Cooper 221 Fireballs I purchased what seems like an eternity ago that needs to get out in the fields. Thanks again, that was one heck of a trip and I enjoyed it along with the others I went on.

Thanks for sharing
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank You fellows for the recap and old photo's of one of you trips. It is nice to pull out old photos and go back and recall fine memories and hunts like this.
I often will look at old photos and recall times with shooting buddies in past years. Sad part however with me is that except for one, who moved on me, all the other's over the years are all gone to the happy hunting ground.

Thanks for sharing this trip of yours, because no matter the time and date we love photos like this. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:00 am Thanks for sharing this trip of yours, because no matter the time and date we love photos like this. Bill K :)
Well there Bill, perhaps you might consider sharing some of your old varmint shooting pics too. This forum is about moribund, so any fresh content will sure perk it up. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

coyote with CZ.jpg
coyote with CZ.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Well I can dig out a few shots from past pivot and rock chuck shoots. Does seem like the site if slow with other's posting hunts and photo's.
Valkyrie and chucks.jpg
Valkyrie and chucks.jpg (320.34 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Rock chuck Contender in 17 Hornet.jpg
Rock chuck Contender in 17 Hornet.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 33 times
IMG_20180425_100454.jpg
IMG_20180425_100454.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 33 times
coyote with CZ.jpg
coyote with CZ.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 33 times
I also call coyotes.