Another ND Coyote Hunt on 12-7-2010

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
windy
.204 Ruger Guns: rem lvsf

Re: Another ND Coyote Hunt on 12-7-2010

Post by windy »

Great story and pictures. I have been going out myself and getting a few.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Yep, North DaColder has earned my spelling of her name. It isn't bone-chilling cold all the time though, we do have at least a week or two of summer towards the end of July which is immediately followed by winter :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tom Ohlsen--You have a good eye for weapons. Yes, you are 100% correct--that is your "old" rifle. To me it is my new/used "Ohlsen .204 Ruger" and it has been a very effective prairie dog eradicator and now it has first blood from coyotes on it too. It is a heavy beast, weighing in at about 13 3/4 pounds with the scope, bipod, sling, and 5 rounds in the magazine. Here she is with a prairie dog I shot from 240 yards away during my October 20, 2010 prairie dog hunt:

Couple that 13 3/4 pounds with a loaded butt pack that comes in at 8 pounds, plus the hunting boots with 2000 grams of insulation, insulated coveralls, and the rest of the cold-weather clothing I had on and I think I was overloaded for the terrain I was in, but I was cozy warm even when sitting still.

acloco lives in some beautiful country but it too can be mighty tough on hunters and animals. It might get a little bit colder here in North DaColder, but not by much. I think the Minot Air Force Base is the "Siberia" of the Air Force. I don't think it is one of the premier air bases to which you can be assigned just because of the wicked cold temperatures and nasty winds, plus snow up to your wazoo! However, the people up in this north country and in acloco's area are just a wonderful bunch to be around. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Thanks again to all of you for the nice comments on my story and photos. I was happy to take you on the hunt with me, even if it was only in your mind.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Great lookin dog and story SF. Great way for setting up an "ambush" with all of them hills and coulees. I still can't believe how BIG your p-dogs are. Those are monstrous compared to our little ground squirrels. Keep on whackin and stackin.
Savage Vaporizer
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Great run-down, Silverfox! Those 13 3/4# rifles are just begging for a Timber Buttes Outdoors Outlaw sling! (Ask me how I know. :chin: )

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Huting Gear
“No crowds, no limits, no seasons… no bad days.”
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Verminator2--thanks for the suggestion. That sling would be nice if I didn't always use either a butt pack or a backpack on my hunts. The only way I could envision the Outlaw sling working is if I had a sling-type pack.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox