Morning coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Morning coyote

Post by broper »

I went out this morning for one set. Started calling about 6:55, called off and on for about 25 minutes. I was about ready to leave and decided to try one more toot on the call. Just dropped the call and there it was running right at me, 16 yds. Before I could get it in the scope good it turned to the right and started circling me, run a few steps, stop. Finally when it was directly behind where I was set up it stopped long enough for me to get the cross hairs on it. When I shot I heard the bullet hit and saw it go down. It was so brushy right there I could just see it's tail wringing above the brush. I ranged it at 26 yds. By the time I walked over there it was gone but lots of bright red blood and feces. I looked for about a half hour, never found it, probably brushed up around there close some where. I was shooting my .218 Bee with 40 gr. Nosler Varmageddon. Although I didn't recover it, still very exciting and gobs of fun. I'm ready to go again, soon!!
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Morning coyote

Post by Silverfox »

That sounds like an exciting event. I wish you could have recovered the coyote and shown us some photos.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Give it a day or two and you will find it, most likely by smell or birds around the remains.. :eek: Bill K :D
broper

Post by broper »

Yeah, I was going to take my short hair over there, I'm sure he could have tracked him but didn't want to take a chance on him getting in a fight with a coyote.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Nice, the 218 Bee has accounted for a lot of game over the years, a lot of it larger than that caliber should ever have been used on. My great uncle tells stories of some relation back in the old days shooting deer and antelope with it to feed his family, it was the only rifle he owned so I guess it had to work. Nice job on the yote, I hear it often that some people are having to set at the stand a little longer before they get results. I have never been a 15-20 minute stand person, even if one comes in within that time frame, but in high call pressure areas it seems to work better to stay longer. I'd say if he lost bowel control he didn't go far at all. Great job and glad you got out and felt the great out doors, go get another one.
broper

Post by broper »

Yeah, I really like that little cartridge. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. It's just a fun little cartridge. I shot a coyote in Wyoming with it, 35 gr. V-Max, 176 yds. It dropped in it's tracks, DRT. Couldn't find an entrance and no exit. I've also shot badgers, rock chucks and lots of ground squirrels with it. It's a Ruger #1.
Bob
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Are you going to drag it over the stateline again and poke a hole in a wolf with it? I like those No. 1#'s, they are a fun rifle. I shot my 1st yote with one in 300 Win Mag that my dad bought about the time I was born.
broper

Post by broper »

I would love to shoot a wolf. Season is open here in Idaho too. I think I might use a litlte more gun than the .218 though. I like the number 1's too, had a real nice one in .270 Win. once. Wish I'd kept it. I haven't had a chance to shoot anynore coyotes with the .218. I've been out a couple times but I took my .22/.250. Saw four yesterday but we weren't able to get any. Soon I hope.