Got the 17 Rem Cooper dialed in today

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Got the 17 Rem Cooper dialed in today

Post by hemiallen »

My 17 Cooper went back to the factory for a tune-up, and came back shooting teeny tiny groups, as all Coopers should. A friendly call to ask what they used to poke sub 0.1" 3 shot groups had me buying a box of 50 HSM 20 gn Vmax ammo. The first range session wasn't quite up to the guns potential, so fighting the 90+ heat this afternoon I took the Cooper, a new to me Rem 700 in 17 Fb and another new gun, a 17 AH Bullberry rig.

Once the new scope on the Cooper , Rem and AH were sighted in at 50 yds, I moved to my 100 yard bullet trap. Dang those high speed pills drill through 1/4" armor plate, so I have added plywood and some carpet behind the cardboard my heavy card stock targets are printed on. BTW, these heavy targets allow one to push in the "chads" on the back and after scotch taping them, the teeny tiny holes look like perfection...lol

So after shooting a 3/8" group with the Fireball I swapped out to the Cooper. After 3 rounds making me very happy, I decided to throw 2 more and also adjust for zero before ending the session. After the 3 were punched, I noticed something moving behind my backstop a long ways away in the neighbors grapes, which means I had a well groomed bare dirt alley to shoot down. After changing the side focus I saw an old jackrabbit, which I have hunted on our farm since 1964 when I had Grandpa's Remington pump. After moving here back in the 70's I had a good run removing them and they seemed to repopulate well at the pace I kept. Now 40 years later , due to Coyote's I need to remove, it is a rare occasion to see a Jack, let alone when I have a gun in hand. I hated to dispatch this jack, but I figured I better draw some blood with it before next spring.

If you are still with me, here is the damage a V-max at 285 yards measured using the 11 foot spacing of our vines and the neighbors

I think I hit him where I aimed.

Group on the Cooper was 0.325". For some reason I had a bad jump when the Cooper torched off, and I think I had a flier in that group as #1 and 2 were looking like the test target, the 17 Fb and AH were like cap guns...

Sorry for the gore, I had the Cooper in hand, balancing it, the shell and my cellphone to snap that picture.

Allen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Got the 17 Rem Cooper dialed in today

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice Allen.....glad she's now shootin' the way a Cooper should. I'm sure that jack would not agree though...... ;)

You've got a nice little "rat battery" there now. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails