Busy Summer in Missouri

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Busy Summer in Missouri

Post by GTOHunter »

Well Folks...its been a while since I've been on here,with work keeping me busy and working on food plots this Spring...thanks to the miserable drought stricken summer it put a damper on anything growing.....we set our sights on more planting this Fall and have been blessed with getting some decent rain finally and the food plots are doing great!I have been keeping busy chasing and Hunting after Coyotes even tho my Calling Partner has Whimped out on me all Summer long! :wall: :roll: :roll:

I had several encounters thru the summer hunting over cut hay fileds,had a few Coyotes come in...shot at one but lost Her in the thick woods along the field edge so no dead body no pat on the back.Now later this summer I hit pay dirt hunting on the Family Farm...I had seen several Young Coyotes on my trail camera's and set out to hunt over the cut CRP Fields.My first Coyote was running towards me while I was up in my 15' ladder stand,I put Her down at 125 yards,when I went out to take a few pic's another ran across my path at 75 yards or so and He is also taking a permanent dirt Nap!

My next venture was in the same stand a week later...I watched the long mowed field and saw movement way out further than I thought I could shoot?It was another Young Coyote walking a food plot edge,then it would lay down,stand up again and move around some more but wouldn't come any closer to my calling?It was getting close to dark and last shooting light...I rested the CZ .204 "Varmint" on my fold-down rest,flipped the padded seat up and rested the back end of the Rifle against it....took careful aim,flipped the set-trigger forward for a lighter pull and took the safety off and aimed the cross-hairs on the very top of the Coyotes shoulder.."Boom" the Coyote flopped over dead right there at a good 300 yards away! :eek:

Next venture was a few hundred yards from my Killer Stand in the 3rd bottom field on the Farm directly down-hill thru the thick woods over-looking 2 long food plots,I set up my feather distractor in front of my Flambeau Coyote Decoy at the leading edge of the newest food plot we disc-ed up and recently planted.I walked back towards my other 17' ladderstand and leaned my CZ .204 against a large tree along the field edge and started to hand trim the over hanging branches that were cutting out my clear view of the CRP Field and food plots when I sit up in the said stand...every once in a while glancing across the field in case something slips in on me?I'm extending my hand pole saw and dropping several branches off along the field edge and some a few feet into the timber when I catch movement in the 1st food plot...a Coyote crosses it and walks into the 2nd food plot looking towards the Decoy and I'm about 80-100 yards up behind it....I slowly laid the pole saw down and slipped behind the big tree where my Rifles laying up against it...I picked it up and snuck forward to a small tree and leaned the barrel thru a small limb for a rest...aim the scope at the Coyote "Boom" He drops right there along the edge of the food plot! :wink:

5th and last Coyote....last week I'm walking down thru the woods along a logging road and it opens up into the 1st bottom Field food plot...I see a Coyote cross thru from the taller grass into the thick green fod plot,I slip across a dry creek bed abd lean against and behind a large Tree...I aimed the Leupold scope at the Coyote as its walking away from me along the food plot edge and I let out a few "Barks"...He turned back to look at where the sound was coming from and gave me a 1/4 away broadside shot...I aimed and "Boom" I miss :duh: and He's still standing there looking at me?I take better aim and "Boom" he drops right there after my 2nd attempt/shot to put him down!

I've been going out several times in the evenings and have seen several Coyotes but haven't got a shot at any more for a few weeks,had some sightings pretty far away in open Hay Fields but it was either too far away or too close to dark for a good decent shot since I'm not packing a good dependable Tri or Bi-Pod rest out where I'm Hunting in those Properties.Pretty soon colder weather will be here and my Calling Partner will get the urge to start back up the first of October and we will be Coyote Hunting several large pieces of Land He has permission to Hunt on and we will Team Up again and start Hunting Predators even more well into Nov,Dec,Jan and Feb for sure! :chin: ;)
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Re: Busy Summer in Missouri

Post by fishnbob »

awesome experience thanks for sharing. The woods is so thick and flat around me its hard to see them until you are right on top of them and they usally spot u first and they are gone. :wall:
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Nice story, but did it really happen if there's no pics? :lol:
Sounds like you had fun. I'm looking forward to all the hay, wheat etc to get cut around here, to expose the fox pups.
Keep us posted on your October hunts, and good luck with those missed opportunities from the last few weeks. Hope they come back for a taste of the .204
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I can Text a few pic's if someone wants to post them for me....guess I need to try for a PhotoBucket Account and see if I can post that way?For the life of me I just can't get the pic posting thing down? :chin: :duh: :wall:

Boy...even the Guys/Hunters in Australia are giving me a hard way to go! :eew: :shock: :(

It should get a lot more interesting come next week...my Calling Partner climbs out of his Maby Pamby Cave and will hunt with me since the cold weather will be here by then...we have at least 5-6 different Farms we can hunt and it should be very interesting this year with all the youg Coyotes running around on some of the Property we had a lot of trouble getting them to come in...with more Young/Dumb Yotes they should be easier to kill and pattern? :idea: :chin:

Got me a new Coyote Killing Machine too...bought a Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Rifle shooting 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets....gonna be a fun year! ;) :wink:
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

GTO sound like you had a busy summer.
Setting up a photobucket acount is not hard .Just set up the acount upload to photobucket then clink on img when you mouse over picture clink on img code and go back to the forum and clik paste.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks Clint....guess I better get on it and try it out,got plenty of cool kill pics and scenery to show everyone here just gotta get with it! :D :lol: