1/1/14 Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

1/1/14 Coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Early before day light on New Years Day I went out to a creek bottom where I could sit on the point of a ridge overlooking a creek bottom where I've seen and shot coyotes in the past. I had planned on taking my .220 Swift out that morning but was running a little late and already had my CZ American in the truck from the day before so I took it instead.

I was facing the east and here was my view to the south.

.....and here was my view to the north.

Shortly after it started getting light, two doe came out into the edge of the field along the fence line to the south and fed for a while before going back into the pasture. As the sun got close to appearing, I stood up and got behind the two big Oak trees I was sitting by so I would be in the shadow of the trees and to see better without the sun in my eyes. I had been standing for about 15-20 minutes when I heard something running toward me from behind. It was three doe running full out coming down the draw to my right about 35 yards away headed for the corn field with their tails up. I figured there was a coyote chasing them so I shouldered my rifle and just as I did, a coyote came running down the hill behind them.

Here's a picture of the draw the deer came down and if you look close, you can see the dead coyote on top of the ridge to the left of the big Oak tree.

The coyote stopped on the point of the next ridge over and watched the deer running out into the field. I had to lean over and down and took the 58 yard shot through the tree limbs and dropped the coyote on the spot.

Here's a zoomed in picture of the coyote.

Here is a view from the coyote back to the Oak trees on the point I was standing by.

As soon as I shot this one I looked back from where the coyote came from thinking there may be another one coming but never did see one. The deer stood out in the field for about 15-20 minutes looking back toward the coyote before they figured they were safe.

Here's a picture of the deer.

The biggest coyote I've ever weighed was 44 lbs. and this one would have weighed close to that one. The bad part was it also had the mange starting.

What a way to start out the new year!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 1/1/14 Coyote

Post by Glen »

No doubt!! Too bad about the mange. That is a Purdy coyote!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Thats a good way to start lol wtg
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Saw the name before I read the post and knew I was in for a photographic "treat"; wish I had the patience to do more pics while hunting.
Didn't catch what that C-Z is chambered in, btw.
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Rowdy,
It's a .204 shooting the 39 grain sierra Blitz King.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Indeed that is THE way to start off the new year. Beautiful scenery, nice dog (to bad about the mange), and the famous 500 and some yard "shot in the head on a dead run crossing shot" rifle. Glad to see it'll kill em as dead on a close shot too. The grass is going to be pretty green this summer, when are you coming to paint it red again?
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Dean,
I'd like to come out this Spring if things work out. With college graduations, weddings and new grandbabies last Spring, I wasn't able to make it out there with Clint.

tinytree
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1A

Post by tinytree »

that's a big one! great pics!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Melvin....all of us should be so lucky to start off the new year like that! Other than the mange, good lookin' dog, and great pics as usual. Thanks for sharing. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

I do not know how i missed this but congrats and always a nice recap on the hunt.