Which caliber?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
csand
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Firearms

Which caliber?

Post by csand »

For baby squirrels, would you guys pick the 17FB or a 17AH? Because they tend to wander around our feet at the squirrel patch and you can reach down while seated at the bench and pick them up on occasion, I'm leaning towards a 15-18 grain spit wad and a smooth bore soda straw to reduce fur damage :D

They can be challenging at 200 yards or more.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Which caliber?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

csand wrote:I'm leaning towards a 15-18 grain spit wad and a smooth bore soda straw to reduce fur damage :D]
Heh heh heh, good one! Although the BC on the spit-wad may be a tad lacking in the breeze. :wink:

To properly protect those expensive Danner's and your 4x4 truck tires, there's nothing like a familiar .22LR belt pistol for those little charging munching buggers. I actually had to protect Captqc from one such incident a few years ago, the rat was so close, he couldn't hit it with his pistol.....sort of 'in your face'! It was 'Rick to the rescue', and I've never let him hear the end of it either. :lol:

I hope that little fellow there on your bench was kept under strict supervision, as they've been known to really have their way with components and ammo on the benchtop. :mrgreen:

These might even be collector's items by now! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well it looks to me like the little fellow seems to be leaning towards the 17AH :lol: So you may want to go with his choice. Bill K :D
csand

Post by csand »

Here's my normal perimeter defense, Lucy, but the squirrels call her Lucifer.

She gets banned to the pickup when the shooting starts. The wife was keeping us safe with her 9mm but she's shooting the squirrel guns now so it's just "jungle rules" and spit wads.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I am guessing Lucy is a Jack Russell Terrier? We have one that goes by the same name and nick-name! I swear, JRT's are a rodents' worse nightmare!
csand

Post by csand »

Yes, she is a Jack Russell Terrier. There must be something about JRTs being named Lucy. I have a friend in Oklahoma with a JRT named Lucy. We had Beagles for year but once we got a Jack Russell we never looked back. Whenever she does anything we say "ain't no Beagle" which doesn't mean anything and makes no sense but it's just what pops out of our mouth. Good dog and good name!
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

its only a photoshop image

except for Lucy.......she's a killin, snugglin machine
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I always switch to the rimfires for the babies. More cost effective and slightly more challenging. Ruger 22/45 w/red dot for Charlie in the wire.
K = ½mv2