Range finder.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Range finder.

Post by WesF »

I’m planning a South Dakota prairie dog hunt in June and have just begun dialing in my new Savage model 12 FV in 204R. Seeing as how the 204 will reach out quite a bit further than my 17 hmr, I’m thinking a range finder purchase would be in order. It seems like the selection of these tools is mind numbing as are the number of features. I’m looking for some insight from the skippy flight instructors here.
Shoot straight & often.
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Re: Range finder.

Post by fishnbob »

I have the leupold rx-800i TBR. I use it to range prairie dogs and it works pretty good out to about 600yds.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I used to have a Bushnell 1000,that I used for more than 10 yrs shooting skippy. It was spotty at best :wall: . Last year I happened to be shooting with a fellow shooter on a trip to make skippy fly. He let me use his Leica 1200 to range some targets for him when he was shooting. I noticed right off the bat, that his Leica was a lot better at ranging targets at every range I tried. So now I am the proud owner of a Leica 1000, and I put it to good use this past year and this year already. What a difference between the 2! :mrgreen: I would recommend to anyone looking for a range finder, to look at the Leicas. I am very happy with mine! :D
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Plus 1 on the Leica. Better to buy quality and just buy once. Rarely do you hear of someone dissatisfied with their Leica.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Another Leica fan, here. If you don't have to have the latest and greatest, you can get a good deal on an older model. My old, box style Leica does a great job ranging and the optics are noticeably better than the less expensive models offered by others.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+ 1 for the Leica.

I've been using their LRF-1200 model for about ten years, used the Bushnell 100 and the Leupold, but there's no comparison for under $600. I can range rat mounds at 500+ on flat land, farther if terrain features permit.

The secret to using these units is to hold them very still for ranging past 300 yards. Off the bench many times I use my spotting scope tripod with a simple baseplate I made in the shop with a 1/4-20 nut welded on the back to accept the tripod locking screw....works like a charm with a couple of rubber bands:

You can spend much more, but these little units, along with their newer CRF-1200 (compact model) work as advertised. Mine has been used as the basic core ingredient to enable Skippy's skyward launch on numerous occasions. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

What an idiot! I sat here looking at your picture Rick, trying to figure out when Leica made a RF with two blue stripes on it........ Then the obvious finally got my attention. Rubber bands! :mrgreen:

My Leica is the 800 yard version. Got it ANIB for $220.00, shipped. Does everything I need it to.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Rick

Oh WOW. :eek: I love the way you have your powder charge thrower combined with your range finder. That has to be an good way to reload on the fly. Certainly convenient for staying in the game in the rat patch. :lol: Just kidding. ;)
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Thanks guys! Sounds like Leica is the way to go.
Shoot straight & often.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Thanks for this info. I bought a Leupold RX 600 5 years ago I think. It will not range live flesh past 300 if your lucky. This was a big dissapoinment coming from leupold! I did discover that when hunting coyotes I trust my eye. Seldom have they givin me the oppertunity to range them. They keep lookin and movin!
I do want a new range finder with much longer feild of veiw. I will give the Leica a look!
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Leica all the way for me. Works great and great battery life too.