It's almost time.......

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

It's almost time.......

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Almost time for the 2018 rat season that is! :eek:

This has been "the winter that wasn't" for us. Last year on this date we had right at 3' of snow on the ground, and today it's in the mid 50's for crikey sakes. BUT, that means that our little buddy Skippy and his pals will be coming up soon so we can play with our 204's once again.

I thought I'd try to wake up this forum and generate some pre-season excitement. Am I the only one that's got all his loading done and is now waiting not so patiently for the fun to start?

My Cooper MTV in 204 ("Wicked Wanda") last season one morning doing what she does best: Rodent Flying Lessons.

Soon to come.....flying rats and big smiles! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: It's almost time.......

Post by Jim White »

Hi Rick,

I'm all loaded up and ready to roll.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

They are coming out here in Idaho. I talked to a guy the other day that has shot a few already. It's still kind of muddy and sloppy out there though. Not a bad winter here either, hardly any snow but we have had some rain. Should be a good season, I'm ready.
KetelOne
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator

Post by KetelOne »

First off, Wicked Wanda has a set of Buick Vents on her that won't quit! No Prarie Dogs in my neck of the woods but plenty of whistle pigs. My 204 is ready to go with the 39 SBK so now I gotta work out a load for Wanda's cousin, (I haven't named her yet) who has been making white tails do backflips with 115 grain Noslers for the past 6 years. She's kind of a fat chick, however, and too heavy to lug through the woods anymore, so I've dressed her up with some lingerie from Ken Farrel, and if I can get her to swallow some 87 grain Hornadys or 90 grain SBKs, she'll be on bean field duty for the windy days.
Attachments
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2148 times
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I've been loaded and ready to roll for a month now. Finally settled in on 29.4 gr. of CFE223, 32 gr. Varmegeddon's, Remington 7-1/2 all seated at 2.255 which is about all I can get squeezed into my AR mags. Although it's not my most accurate load, I can hit 10 for 10 rat sized targets with less recoil and still see the little buggers fly in the scope. Let's go get 'em! Randy.
bloc
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage FCV

Post by bloc »

Hi Rick! My buddy Mark and I have been getting ready since June.

I've got hundreds of .243s, hundreds of .223s for each of two rifles and hundreds of .225 Winchester rounds

I'm now going full speed ahead with my .204. I've settled on the 39 gr SBK with 27.5 grains of Varget. It's a 0.5MOA (or smaller) tack driver (5 shots) and I hope to load above 500 rounds.

I'll also take my 17HMR.

There's a lot of flying chunkage in my future!

Why so many rifles? If you have to ask, you'll never understand.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bloc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pmWhy so many rifles? If you have to ask, you'll never understand.
HA! How true! :mrgreen:

Years ago when I'd have all my rat shooting gear staged in the garage prior to loading up, my wife would look at the pile of kit, rifle cases stacked on each other, military .50 cal cans stacked, and she'd ask "does it really take all that to kill squirrels?" :lol:

Now that we've been together for many years and countless rat shoots, and considering where she works* surrounded by guns and ammo, she doesn't bat an eye any more. She even told me she's lost track of how many rifles/guns I have.....do I see an shameless opportunity there? ;)

Have a grand time on your upcoming shoot. You've got a great selection of rifles and calibers, so be sure to take your camera and put it to good use so we can share the fun when you return. We all love pics! :D

(* Boolit Factory)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

bloc

Post by bloc »

Rick, those who haven't shot those nasty, destructive rats don't know how satisfying it can be! To quote a cliche: "It's the most fun you can have with your cloths on!"

My wife of ~54 years is VERY indulgent. And so, too, is Mark's. His armory is up to par and he, like you and I, live for this season!

And we both, like you, got very lucky (why, on earth, would Kate marry me??).

We're now about 2 months away! And I will take my camera!
broper

Post by broper »

I took my 218 Bee out on Tuesday and gave a few flying lessons. Not a lot of them out yet but I shot eight or ten. Lot's of fun after laying around sick all winter.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I'm in process of loading up my ammo for a scheduled PD trip in early June, I have 700 rds loaded for my R700 in 223, just 300 (so far) for the FV12 in 223 and about 600 for my 204R. I have to finish my seating depth test on the FV12 223 but the weather is NOT cooperating right now. Temps are warmer than average, but the liquid sunshine on a daily basis makes it hard to load up for the trip to the range. The weather is good for loading ammo but I would really like to complete the test so I can move on with that segment of my preparation.
Master Piddler ;)
bloc

Post by bloc »

jpx2rk

I've never shot PDs but wish I could. On GS shoots, I've shot jackrabbits and (one) rock chuck while after GSs. Both rabbits and the Rock Chuck were HUGE in my scope after shooting GSs. I completely missed a coyote, though I came close (at 600+ yards).

I believe ground squirrels are smaller than PDs, so I'm thrilled that my longest confirmed kill of a GS was slightly over 280 yards.

But boy . . . would I love to take a crack at PDs!
broper

Post by broper »

Prarie dogs are fun. The only thing I've shot them with is 218 Bee but it works good on them. There are some Columbian ground squirrels here in Idaho. They are about as tall as prarie dogs but maybe a little skinnier. All varmints are fun to shoot..
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I'm looking forward to the trip, I was on a PD trip in the mid 90's and enjoyed it but life got in the way so now I'm going to try and make up for lost time. Never shot at a GS but I'll be out that way, maybe I'll swing by for a trial run at 'em. LOL
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jpx2rk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 am I'm looking forward to the trip, I was on a PD trip in the mid 90's and enjoyed it but life got in the way so now I'm going to try and make up for lost time. Never shot at a GS but I'll be out that way, maybe I'll swing by for a trial run at 'em. LOL
jpx: If you do indeed make it to ground squirrel country ("Skippy" country), be sure to bring lots of ammo, as you just may need it.

The pic below was taken from my bench one morning last season. Each mound, once it becomes active when the sun starts to shine, could have up to a dozen or more squirrels living below. Once they start to emerge and start to frolic about, the shooting really gets hot.

We've said it before, but I'll say it again....."It's the most fun you can have with a rifle!" (Or with your clothes on, but nobody I know shoots naked! :eek: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

danielbrothers
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by danielbrothers »

You guys have to stop posting this stuff about giving Skippy Flying Lessons, because it's too much strain on my trigger finger. I have to soak it in Lemi Shine and Dawn to keep the throbbing tingle under control. Even my Wife is complaining about the way you guys are teasing me... while she is rubbing my finger. She is about ready to ban me from the PC... but I'll just sneak it into the Man Cave...LOL. When June rolls around, I'll be heading Westward for a month of wandering for little critters to shoot. My trigger finger will direct me in the right direction by telling me if I'm hot or cold by it's pulsating intensity.
Forgive My Sins... Jesus... Save My Soul