Learning to Fly - With a Rifle

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Learning to Fly - With a Rifle

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Flying lessons for our favorite buddy, Skippy of course. We just returned from a four day trip giving flying lessons to all the squirrels who would show up each morning for 'lessons'. We were set up in eastern Oregon on an alfalfa ranch infested with the grass munchers. The landowner is a very generous fellow who has us bring our travel trailers and park on ranch property. We even have water and electrical power, so in the evenings there is always good "guy movies" after barrels are cool and clean.

Our shooting positions were mostly set up at the base of a large prominent rock outcropping, so at the edge of the irrigated field we could gain a few feet of elevation in order to see the little buggers in the alfalfa, which was almost too long already to see them even when standing, especially at ground level:

Looking past my setup and rig is our good buddy "Hemiallen" shooting his 223AI and giving Skippy no quarter:

The rock bluff with all its nooks and crannies. We had hoped for some rock chuck action, but none have moved into this area just yet (the two-track we're set up on can be seen at the very base of the bluff):

Calibers on this trip by those in attendance ranged from 22LR (belt pistols), 17HMR, 17HH, 22 K-Hornet, 20VT, 221FB, 204R, and of course the 223 Rem. My Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221FB overlooking the rat patch with her Leupy VX3 6.5-20X LR 40mm aboard (yes, some of us actually use and prefer Leupold! Imagine that! :eek: ) Interestingly, out of six shooters, each with an average of five rifles with him, virtually ALL wore Leupold glass.

Dan at rat camp working on his LR skills with his Modified M700 in 7.62 on a rock outcropping "way out there":

Sundown over another great day at rat camp. The overall rat count was the feeling that most of our shooting was at juveniles, and only a few nice plump adults. That naturally made for some challenging shooting, as the young-un's are smaller than a soda can by about half. Challenging makes us better, right?

So until after first cut, the alfalfa is now too long to shoot, so it's time to head out into the junipers and cruise the rock piles in search of our elusive buddy, the rock chuck. Think I'll take my Cooper Furball out this time again, as she's only had her way with squirrels....time for the "big stuff". ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Learning to Fly - With a Rifle

Post by skipper »

Thanks for sharing!! That looks like a lot of fun. Sure wished I could join you for a trip or two.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 amThanks for sharing!! That looks like a lot of fun. Sure wished I could join you for a trip or two.
Skipper....that's what "Hemiallen" said too, and he came up to join in on the fun.

Here he is having his way with Skippy in the alfalfa with his Holland-built 223AI:

Father & son team of Gary and Dan on the high ground overlooking the alfalfa. Gary is shooting a Cooper Phoenix 204R, while Dan is using his M700 Varmint in 223: (This setup had about 25' of elevation over the field...about as good as it gets!)

During a rat shoot, I just cannot NOT uncase my Cooper M38 20VT, or "Scooter" (see Mike, she's out and about again, buddy!). She thrives on RL-7 and 32gr BT's or VG's, giving me a great "lift factor" in the field:

No rat shoot would be complete without a few "bench poppers" that appear anywhere from almost zero to about 25 yards from your bench, poking their head out of their hole for a lookabout. IF you happen to have a trusty 22LR belt pistol on you, it really adds to the fun, as the perimeter must be secure at all times!

As was the case last trip here, I was using my Kimber Ultra CDP .45 frame with a Kimber Compact Rimfire Conversion mounted. Using either CCI Mini-Mag HP's, or WW Power Point HP's, it's accurate enough for rats out to around 50 yards or so, as this old boy found out.

Now everyone is waiting for first cut, as the alfalfa is too long now to see these guys even if they stand up. As long as it doesn't get too hot too early, we may still have some time for some flying lessons. But now it's also time for rock chucks........
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Nicely done. Glad you took the time for some photos. I'm planning to join my son and his friends early next week for 4 days in the hay fields in NE calif. but suspect the alfalfa is going to be too tall to shoot and too short to mow. They're hoping I'll go up (4 hour drive) a day or so early to give them rat report. As they say, you're retired now so how 'bout checking it out for us since you don't have anything else to do!
I have my 20 VT finally put together thanks to the help of a couple of the good guys from this forum and I can't wait to see how it does on sage rats. I'll report in next week. Randy.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Will be watching also, for your report on the rats, and the VT. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Randy: Everywhere here and in E. OR the alfalfa is too tall now to shoot, same from everyone I've talked to in NE CA, so if possible, I'd suggest calling one of your ranchers up there to see it the drive is even worth it. Our last shoot was almost two weeks ago, and it was just about too tall then, so it'll be much longer/taller by now.

It would be a bummer to drive all the way up there to see fields of alfalfa waving in the breeze, almost two feet tall.......
(BTW.....been there, seen it myself. :( )

One thing for sure though, you WILL NOT be disappointed with your new 20VT in the field! If you're like most of us who've shot one for any length of time, it may become your favorite rat rifle. It's sort of like the Goldielocks thing.....it's "just right". :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I know the alfalfa will be too tall to see through but there's a lot of dirt levee roads on this one ranch and we're hoping to set up shoot around those. Next Saturday is also the opening weekend for trout at Eagle Lake where I'll be staying so I'll be up there anyway. Might as well see if there's some squeeks hanging around while I'm there. I'm so anxious to see how this VT performs I almost can't stand it. I have the dies but bushings are on back order and my replacement trigger for the stock Remington one is due here tomorrow. Thank goodness Varmint Shooter let me size up enough 221 brass so I could get started. R!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Randy, sounds like you've got it dialed then. Shooting rats on two-tracks or field edges is a hoot, as they don't stay in the open long, so you've got to be quick on the rifle. Makes for some big time fun. I'm eager to hear what you think about the 20VT when you return home.

Have a great time in the field and on the lake. Remember that camera! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

RIO Looks like a grand time for all. Thanks for taking the time for some photos. Its alway gret to see your group together and having a rat of a time.
I like the title "Learn to Fly"- with a rifle. Had that experience in Wyoming on a p.dog @ 700 yards got him up about 3 ft of his mound.......what a site!

Glad you had a safe trip. I Like that stock on your Cooper M38 Phoenix .

Later and enjoy.

Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 amI Like that stock on your Cooper M38 Phoenix .
Thanks Ray, me too. I like it much better than just a flat black stock, and bench or rat rifles don't need any camo either. :lol:

I don't think Skippy or his pals were impressed at all though, but they DID learn to fly! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

Randy just got BK from Eagle Lake 12 days, never made it to C'ville. Think I'll call early next week and ask about they're harvest plans, I'll let you know.