First Rock Chucks

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

First Rock Chucks

Post by randyman »

I had a great day out with a new friend from this forum. Bill K and I met up early one day last week after I had told him I'd never been able to spot rock chucks out by our cabin. We headed out to some country I hadn't been to before and we proceeded to stop and glass different rock croppings looking for chucks. After a few stops he finally told me to grab my 20 VT that I had just picked up from the gunsmith who had made a couple of modifications to it. I had a hard time but finally saw the chuck he had spotted laying flat on some rocks about 195 yds. away. I was a bit nervous shooting in front of someone especially with a rifle I had only sighted in the day before. With the rifle laying across the hood of his truck I held at the chuck's back like I was advised to do and let one go. Man, the satisfying whop I heard and Bill telling me the chuck flew off the back of the rock was music to my ears. Unfortunately the chuck was across a steep ravine with water in the bottom so we couldn't recover that one. We proceeded to check out some more rock piles and between us got 3 more. We passed on a couple juveniles to save some "seed" but Bill managed to put the smack-down on a coyote that made the mistake of watching to see what we were doing. Now that I've been schooled in what to look for I'll definitely be back for more.
Rock Chuck.jpg
Rock Chuck.jpg (84.2 KiB) Viewed 6696 times
By the way, that's my 20VT he and his shooting partner Varmitshooter helped me put together last year. It's a 24" remage in #4 contour chambered and blueprinted by the smith I use in town. It's sitting in a Boyd laminated L/H stock with a Vortex Viper 6-20 scope. I was shooting 32 gr. Nosler lead-free bullets with 20.1 grains of A2200. We had a nice day shooting and talking guns-thanks Bill! Randy.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: First Rock Chucks

Post by skipper »

Makes me want to get in my truck and come join in on the fun. The only thing I shot today was round and orange. No fur or feathers. Come on hunting season!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman

Post by randyman »

You'd be more than welcome. I enjoy all your inputs to this forum and I think a group shoot with those of us who live close enough would be great! R!
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Way to go guys. Sure miss those outings. Bill K and I had many good outings after chucks,squirrels, etc.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

Good on ya, chucks are fun to shoot, especially when they 'splode and go airborne.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go Randy! And what a grand way to 'baptize' your new 20VT than to have the very first shot in the field anchor a rockchuck! NICE! :D

IRT Group Shoot: If anyone wants to consider this, a small group of chuck shooters could rendezvous somewhere near the chuck fields (to be determined), and go out in groups of two for a few days....camp somewhere close, tell lies around the campfire in the evenings....you get the drift. Anyone? :chin: (Next year of course)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick: That would be a great venture to have come about. Must see what next year brings about along those lines. Bill K :)
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

Even if I've evacuated by then i'd come bk for a camp and shoot.
randyman

Post by randyman »

Count me in! I'll wear my tall boots when the stories are told. R!
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

I know how it goes, first liar doesn't stand a chance.