The Ultimate PD & GS Shooting Trailer

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

The Ultimate PD & GS Shooting Trailer

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As the season is upon us, rat shooting, either PD's or squirrels, I see all kinds of shooting trailers in the field. Many years ago I was on an industry shoot back around 2000 or thereabouts, and saw what could be one of the most tricked out sophisticated shooting trailer I've ever seen.

This rig was set up with a water cooling system for dedicated rifles using a 50 gal portable water tank and pump system, driven electrically via a solor panel laid out on the ground. It kept the water-jackets and barrel a constant 46*F, no matter how fast the rifle was fired. Full custom rigs with Hall actions, Pac-Nor barrels under the water jackets in 223 and 6-284.

Please excuse the photo quality, as these were scanned from prints, and the originals were shot with a very old digital camera from the late 90's.

Cooling was done with a manifold running down both sides of the trailer, the pump always running and supplying fresh, cool water to the barrels. Both volume and pressure regulators can be seen; a real nice setup.

The condensation can be seen on the barrel aft of the break from the cool water.

The rig had four shooting positions with a rifle rack in front with the water tank concealed at the tongue of the trailer. Everything stows away nicely for the highway.

The large solar mat used to power the water pump. Works great, no hot barrels on this rig.

Yours truly having my way with the WY dogs with one of the 6-284's, reaching way out there. All ammo was custom loaded for the trip by Barnes, and it was good stuff! I could hit dogs past 500 yds no problem with the 6mm rig, as the wind cooperated that day and the dogs had excellent flying lessons.

When out in the field shooting grass rats, you just never know what interesting gear you might see, and I thought this rig truly qualified for "interesting", not to mention a boatload of fun. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Re: The Ultimate PD & GS Shooting Trailer

Post by SecretCode »

Sweet Mamma Jamma! Wow Rick. Thanks for going through the work of scanning those. That must've been some fun. Just out of curiosity who built and brought that rig.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

That is one very sweet and sophisticated rig Rick. Thanks, ever so much, for sharing that with us. I know you are still around, are most of the others in there, also ? Time goes by so fast anymore. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SecretCode wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:51 pmSweet Mamma Jamma! Wow Rick. Thanks for going through the work of scanning those. That must've been some fun. Just out of curiosity who built and brought that rig.
SC: It was built by an eastern industrialist fellow who shares our passion for the sport. Can't reveal his name out of respect for his privacy, sorry. It's kept on ranch property in WY for use by guest PD shooters. Great setup.

Bill: Ron Power of Power Custom was there along with his son, the owners of a bunch of companies in the industry including some very well known custom smiths, writers and other notables in the industry, some we know, some new to me then. And of course, our most generous and gracious host.

It was one really bonaroo PD shoot, all ammo was donated by Barnes Bullets, and they let us keep all the fired brass. Great folks at Barnes. (thumbs up!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails